“Cozy home style food”

Cuisines: Hungarian, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

There aren't many of these home style restaurants around anymore serving typical Hungarian food such as chicken & veal paprikash; stuffed cabbage and wiener schnitzel so try to dine there soon. The desserts are wonderful too and worth the exercise that you'll have to do to get rid of the extra weight! The staff is charming and dress in traditional outfits. Closed Monday & Tuesday.

Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

I have been going to the Balaton since I was a child. That was back in the day when it was on good old Buckeye Rd. My dad took us-Nicholas-the cop & funeral driver. Everyone knew you & what you were.You see, it wasn't just the Best Hungarian Food-it was the neighborhood-friends-family. We are losing that-in todays world. But, to this day-Balaton is still great. The chicken soup-cuke salad-veal-goulash-my wonderful little dumpling & gravy....all my favorite desserts--. I miss the little place on Buckeye-but, I will continue to come to Shaker till I'm old ^ grey. For me-it is the only place for a taste of childhood memories. Yoo-which is Hungarian--in English, it means Good. I think, that said it all.

2  Thank Jan C
Reviewed 18 November 2016

This charming and comfortable family-owned restaurant on Shaker Square offers some of the best publicly available Hungarian culinary treats in the whole U.S. Invited by local family, we had our favorite meal in Cleveland here. Sample the delicious meats and experience a tap dance on your taste buds with the spicy stew of peppers, onions, and more. Don't forget to finish with one or more yummy desserts.

Reviewed 14 November 2016

My partner is of Hungarian descent, her grandmother having emigrated to the U.S. After Googling Hungarian restaurants within a two-hour drive, we decided on Balaton and we are very glad that we did. Lisa's annual birthday dinner request growing up (and still) is chicken paprikash. She was very pleased with her entree, as well as her appetizer of cabbage rolls and dessert of poppyseed crepe. My chicken schnitzel was more than I could even think to eat and very good. The sauce over the dumplings, which I did not think I would like Iike was quite delectable and my Napoleon for dessert was also very good. The wait staff is very friendly and truly Hungarian. Will definitely be back! It was worth the two hour drive and we have already recommended it to family and friends.

1  Thank Charlene K
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

Food for one is food for three, but amazing nonetheless! Happy to have found a great eastern european restaurant on the east side! Will be returning.