“Why Did I Wait So long”

Ranked #399 of 1,872 Restaurants in Cleveland
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, European, Croatian
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

For years when we visited Cleveland we visited other restaurants in the area and never tried Marie's. Our mistake. Tried it on a Friday night and found a relaxing place, comfortable space, clean and a good vibe. Tried the goulash, schnitzel , potatoes, stuffed cabbage and dumplings. Wow! Everything was fresh, plentiful, savory and good. Salad reminded me of my grandmothers as well as salads I have had in Europe. Bread was amazing.
Such a cool atmosphere. Excellence service. Good beer and wine selection. Prices are really good and service spot on.
If you want authentic Eastern European food, this is it

(Anybody who used to go to Sterle's, try this. Might not have the music but his food is great!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The food here is pretty good. Many from our large group of over 30 were disappointed with the city chicken. It wasn't breaded. It was basically just pork kabobs. The rest if our party were happy with their dishes. The waitress was a bit salty but didn't mess up anyone's order. If you don't mind driving to the hood, you should enjoy your meal if eastern European is what you're after.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

A couple of guys I was working with suggested Marie's for a quick dinner between meetings. I must have driven past this place a hundred times without even knowing it was there. When you walk in, you feel like you are walking into your Aunt's or Grandmother's dining room - and when you walk out, you feel the same way... stuffed full of good food! Great comfort food like you grew up with. Schnitzel is tremendous; liver and onions (tough to find it done well anymore) is yummy if you like it. Daily specials (try the paprikash on Tuesdays!) are wonderful. Friendly service, phenomenal prices. Another great Cleveland neighborhood gem!

Reviewed 30 November 2015

This restaurant is top notch for home made meals that reflect the cuisine of traditional eastern European meals. Fantastic schnitzel, noodles, soups, cevapci and so on. The prices are very reasonable and you will get huge portions of great food. The decor is old and tired but if you want good, fresh food go here and leave the chains. (They have a new waitress and I think she needs a little more training, ie: don't give the bill before you ask if the customer wants dessert, and little things like that).

1  Thank srgordo
Reviewed 19 July 2015

It's been a while, and Anna is back with the help of her young nieces-- but it is very much a family affair at Marie's.
I arrived very hungry again, so Anna had her mom make me a custom combination plate of Schnitzel + stuffed cabbage, I am predictable when I am hungry, and her mom did her usual excellent cooking-- every thing was prepared to perfection. I did snap a few photos to add this time.
Across St. Clair from DayGlo, (another Cleveland institution), got the car washed on E. 30th from a start up group who took over the old tire shop-- hand wash for $10 or so, discounts for teachers, government workers,-- then a short drive to Marie's-- my Friday excursion.
They have many other choices, and the salad will have home grown tomatoes when they are in season-- let Anna and her mom guide you to a wonderful experience.

1  Thank leicameight