“Great sauerkraut!”

Ranked #4 of 55 Dessert in Columbus
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This iconic German Village restaurant is the perfect place to celebrate with family and friends. For five generations we have been serving authentic German food. Our sausage has become so famous that the Bahama Mama has been voted the official food of Columbus and the building is registered as a historic landmark. Come take a trip around our Autobahn Buffet or, if you want something other than sausage, try one of our traditional German dinners. Of course, for dessert, you can have one of our half-pound jumbo cream puffs. Stop in today and celebrate with us!
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Do go here to order a salad. This is German sausages, potato salad, cream puff and delicious kraut. Our friends had the buffet which offered even more German delights. If you like German food and you are in the area I would say put it on the list. Actually loved the Fudge shop across the street- made in the shop, the Buckeyes are not bad either.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,385)

Reviewed 31 March 2018

This is a fun place to go in Columbus. Located in the picturesque German Village, next to the Red Stable gift shop, the restaurant has a fun German vibe. The wait staff wear traditional German type outfits. There are plenty of beer options ( I recommend trying the flight) and German food. They have a buffet or you can opt for a la carte meals. My companion had the sausage platter and I had the chicken spaetzle and they were solid. The German potato salad was nice and sour. It is nice to take a stroll around the brick paved street neighborhood after dinner. The wait staff was nice. Must do if in Columbus.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

We were here twice the same day, which is strange because German food is never my first choice for a meal. This past Saturday, we arrived at our hotel, only a few blocks away from Schmidt's, very hungry and not wanting to drive anywhere after being in the car all for several hours. We went online to see what local favorites were within walking distance. The reviews for Schmidt's were stellar and my husband and daughter love bratwurst, so it was a no-brainer.

Before we left, we used the wait-list app. (Love the app. Every restaurant should have this. You can skip the whole crowded-waiting-area-excuse-me-pardon-me-are-you-waiting-to-get-on-the-list entanglement) When we arrived, about 1:00, the place was packed, and there were, according to the app, 17 parties ahead of us. Our expected seating time was 1:37. So, we found a spot in the hallway near the rest rooms to wait. We passed some time reading the news articles on the wall and messing with our phones, but soon I noticed my husband's body language amplifying irritation, my daughter's too. When I asked what was up, I learned it was the loud, nails-on-chalkboard voice of the lady near us talking nonstop AT her silent companion. So, we walked outside for a while.
I periodically checked the app. The 17 parties ahead of us were seated pretty quickly, so when there were only 2 parties ahead of us, we came back in and found a waiting spot near the dessert counter. (The desserts looked so delicious. I rarely eat dessert at a restaurant, but I was considering skipping the entree and just ordering two desserts. But which two?? The chocolate, vanilla or St. Patrick's green creme puff? The streudel? The chocolate creme pie? The strawberry tart?) Soon, there was 1 party ahead of us, but then everything slowed down. We stood facing the dessert counter for nearly 15 minutes while tables of 2 were called and waiting parties were advised of open seats at the bar. As hectic as the environment was, the staff was really cheerful and friendly to the guests.

Finally, it was our turn! In no time, we had menus, drinks, and had put in our order. I ordered the sausage sampler, and my husband and daughter ordered brats. My daughter has to have a gluten-free diet, and surprisingly, it was super easy (not usually the case) for her to order since neither bratwurst, German potato salad, applesauce, nor sour kraut have gluten in them. The only accommodation we asked the waitress to make was to make sure the cook did not put the brat on a bun.

We enjoyed the experience of eating here very much. Great service, cheerful ambiance, and a good meal. Like I mentioned, I don't get excited about German food, but I do get excited about homemade creme puffs. We were too full for dessert and considered getting a couple things to go, but we had a wedding to go to that night and figured we would skip dessert at the reception and come back later. That's what we did.

Shortly before 10 pm that night, after we got our gluten-free kid some rolled ice cream somewhere else, my husband and I made our second visit to Schmidt's. When we got there, the place had cleared out, a few tables of people were enjoying the live band music, an employee was washing the windows, and there were NO desserts on display. I was so bummed. The hostess asked if she could help us, and I said we had come to pick up desserts but I could see they were all gone. She cheerfully informed me that they had plenty in the back.

We ordered a chocolate creme puff and a strawberry tart and took them back to the motel where we "split" (meaning I ate most of both desserts since my husband was too full from food and beer at the wedding we had just attended) our treats. I've never been so happy and fulfilled by eating a creme puff. It was everything other reviewers had raved about. The strawberry tart was fabulous too, but not something I would order again. If it hadn't been so close to 11:00 (closing time at the restaurant), I might have ran back to buy another creme puff (or two) to take back with me to Maryland the next morning.

This might have been the only chance we will have had to visit Columbus and to eat at Schmidt's Sausage Haus, but if we ever come back, I will wait however long I have to to order at least dessert from Schmidt's Sausage Haus. If I'm really hungry, I might get a meal after that.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I just found out about this restaurant last minute when I was spending my spring break in Columbus and I'm so happy that I did. Fantastic and traditional German cuisine to satisfy your taste buds. I got the buffet which I think is the best option if it is your first visit to Schmidt's. You can try all of their sausage options as well as their German meatloaf and sides. Oh! And you must try one of their cream puffs.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

So, we’ve been here a couple of times on different occasions and each time it’s been great - the atmosphere; the food (always end up getting the buffet because I want it ALL!!!); the cream puffs... Only issue is that you can’t reserve as far as I can tell, so we’ve had to sit waiting around for 25 minutes with two small kids which is not ideal. Looking forward to the next visit, though.