“Family Favorite”

Ranked #4 of 56 Dessert in Columbus
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This iconic German Village restaurant is the perfect place to celebrate with family and friends. For five generations we have been serving authentic German food. Our sausage has become so famous that the Bahama Mama has been voted the official food of Columbus and the building is registered as a historic landmark. Come take a trip around our Autobahn Buffet or, if you want something other than sausage, try one of our traditional German dinners. Of course, for dessert, you can have one of our half-pound jumbo cream puffs. Stop in today and celebrate with us!
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Schmidt's Restaurant is a favorite with my family. This rustic restaurant is located in historic German Village just south of downtown Columbus, Ohio. The food is authentic German and there is a buffet for lunch or order from the menu. This restaurant serves the mid-Ohio region with a truck or booth at most of the surrounding community festivals and an outdoor eating area at the Ohio State Fair - my husband's only choice when we go. Their cream puffs are legendary with seasonal flavors like pumpkin in the fall. When you eat here, it's not only for the food but for the experience. Parking can be a little difficult when the restaurant is really busy.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,321)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch after reading about this place. We arrived to find about a 10 min wait for a table. The text message You so you can wonder around while you wait for your table. We got the lunch buffet and a order of soft pretzel bites. The pretzels are very deep fried but they are good. The buffet is smaller than I expected they had 3 types of sausage and some other items plus soup and salad. I would have preferred more choices on the buffet. The creme puff is offered at a discount price with the buffet overall I would say it’s a good place to eat but I wouldn’t rush back anytime soon and probably would just try any other restaurant if I’m the area

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

If you'd like to have a mini vacation in Germany, this is a good place to start. Authentic german cuisine and beers on tap. The schnitzel met spaetzle was quite good.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Busy great service popular spot in German village the food is fantastic best cream puffs and different flavors too

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I've been wanting to eat here for a few months and finally decided to brave the wait. After checking in I was told it'd be a 45 minute wait and that I'd receive a text when it was our turn, which was really nice. So, we wandered around the local village for about 30-40 minutes before we got the text saying we had 3 minutes to claim our spot. We were close by because we'd been checking our place in line from the link in the text and knew it was getting closer. We were seated in a very tight area but every table in the restaurant was tightly packed in there so we just rolled with it. We looking over the menu and decided to go with the buffet and got some drinks. After sampling a bit of everything on the buffet we ordered some dessert, my wife got a piece of pie and I got one of the much talked about cream puffs.

What I didn't like was the wait, which I chose to do, the over-priced buffet for the dozen or so items you get with it, and the tightly packed seating.

What I did like was the very friendly service, the ability to check in and go wander around until our spot was up and the experience of trying something different and unique.

All-in-all, this isn't someplace I'm likely to return to. Sure, it was a fun experience and it was nice to do something different but I don't think the food is worth the price and the cream puffs worth the wait.

If you're wanting to give it a go then I suggest you absolutely do so. But don't visit believing it's going to be an absolutely amazing experience otherwise you'll be disappointing because it isn't. It's just a restaurant that's specializes in sausages and serves cream puffs that are without a doubt quite large but aren't anything special as far as flavor goes.

Thank Mr. V