“lovley Hotel”

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 February 2017

we had a lovely stay here, the staff where friendly and helpful the breakfast was good and it was in a great location. the room was clean and bathroom was good, great shower, I hate these showers that trickle out! we had a lovely weekend and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drem82
There are newer reviews for The Swan Hotel

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

After a wonderful stay in August, we decided we would like to return to begin the New year in the wonderful town of Southwold.

Despite the late decision, we were very lucky to be able to book a room at The Swan for their black tie New Year's Eve celebration.

From start to finish, the service was faultless. Beginning with canapés and prosecco in the drawing room, we were then shown to our banquet style tables, ranging from eight upwards, where we indulged in our seven course meal.

Each food course was well executed and well thought through, even if they were a little on the large size. My only criticism would be that the cheese course was very mild as the cheddar lacked a punch.

The ambiance was relaxing due to the professional manor carried out by the staff.

We look forward to returning after the refurbishment.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Max T
Reviewed 9 January 2017

Stayed here many times before and came for new year - our anniversary. We had a great room overlooking the square and down to the sea so a wonderful view of the fireworks. Our room was comfortable but a bit tired and I felt it was expensive for what it was - have had better facilities elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Good thing the hotel is now closed for six months for refurbishment.
We were too late to book dinner but breakfast the following morning was excellent - different staff from usual, however, a bit loud and impersonal.
But the staff attitude on reception is what really jarred. My bill was wrong - I had to ask for it to be redone not once but twice! I was billed for somebody else's food and drinks and the man on reception claimed he's seen me at dinner the previous night. When I said that didn't happen he he argued, then told the other two receptionists in my hearing that the money would have to come out of their tips because the person who should have received the bill had already left. They replied 'what tips?'
I didn't appreciate this insight into the workings of the hotel. I didn't appreciate being told I had eaten in the hotel when I hadn't. I didn't appreciate the lack of appropriate apology for two mistakes of a couple of hundred pounds.
Frankly, I didn't care how you made up your mistake, only that I'd had to pick you up on it twice. Shame. Sorry guys, I've loved your hotel for years but this left a really nasty taste - you treated me as though I were insignificant and not even worthy of a decent apology for an appalling example of service. Fortunate this was a one-off experience, but it will make me think twice about visiting again.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the town, choose one of the more expensive rooms at the front. Great to watch...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Susanna D
Reviewed 5 January 2017

We were delighted to find a booking for the first time for the New Years Eve celebrations at The Swan. We love Southwold and and my wish was achieved. We had a two night stay and we found our room comfortable with only the ensuite in need of an update. All staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed all our food choices especially New Years Eve dinner with entertainment. Our bonus was a reserved parking space with a plug to charge our electric car. We have seen the plans for the refurbishment and hope it won't lose its old charm. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time for a lovely review, and we are so pleased you had a great time with us at New Years! We look forward to seeing you next time.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

The Swan is a family favorite for us. Whether we stay in the cottages out back or in the main hotel, we are never disappointed. The Adnams staff are attentive and on hand, they seem to take a higher level of pride in the hotelier profession.

The comfortable rooms are homely and befitting of a five star rating, the only pause for the four star is due to the old place needing some TLC around the edges and the car park really is a squeeze, although whilst may seem to be a criticism also that is part of the charm. The hotel is due a refurb in 2017, we hope that the hotel retains its character whilst achieving some subtle tidying around the edges. The world has seen enough hotels move on to a different more updated look, it would be a shame if this happened too much to the swan at southwold.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
1.5 km away
9.8 km away
The Westleton Crown
The Westleton Crown
#1 of 1 in Westleton

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!