All reviews old building lick of paint lots of character central location breakfast was excellent evening meal town centre staff were excellent full english breakfast large room excellent value for money cannot fault wedding beams function emma rear
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Having stayed a few times in a lovely and very nice family room, coming on this occasion we had a double room ... which to be honest has put me off returning.

The family room had a lovely bathroom, and although on one occasion the hairdryer provided totally singed my hair turning a patch from brunette to brittle white, that aside with a very good breakfast we have always been pleasantly satisfied.

But not this time the room was very dark , bathroom needed a lot of attention, walls needed freshening up ( daren't think what marks were ) wood coming away and generally not a pleasurable standard for £62.00

luckily we weren't there for the whole evening, and from visiting family was a merely a bed for the night. Until morning !

Being placed close to the kitchen below, in my opinion, quite early music started playing, smell of food etc. I love music, and that people are happy in their job but I'm not at work and like a lie in at weekends.

I've always been of the opinion that people on here only write when they have something to complain about so I am going to now review some of the outstanding places I've stayed and have tried to be objective in my criticism but you will see from the photos the attention to detail is lacking in this room

overall we weren't viewing this visit as a success at all avoid room 4 !

Room Tip: family room is much better standard
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Emma H, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Thank you for the feedback on The White Hart Hotel. I am sincerely sorry that this room was not up to standard for you. If you would like to call me on 01376 321401 and discuss this further I will be happy to take your call.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

We stayed there on a Business trip and must say that this was in an excellent location!!
The hotel was fantastic, Very Clean and the food was fantastic. We will be recommending this to our family & friends and will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Emma H, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

If you are seeking "quaint" then this is the hotel for you. Over the centuries it has acquired many interesting levels, corridors and stairs (no lifts or baggage service to rooms). I had 2 different deluxe rooms, both very clean and spacious, facing the Main Street of Braintree. One of them was REALLY quaint. The door was very low and unobtrusive - took us some time to realise it was the door to the room. That was a laugh. The floor sloped in several directions, one pane of glass was too small for the frame and one frame did not fit the wall, giving "inside/outside flow". Rain had come through the gaps and wet the carpet. It is such a problem in these old listed buildings to get permission to make repairs and alterations.
Family rooms were large-ish and, once reached up and down the many stairs and corridors, less quaint as they were added in a recent period.
Comfortable enough for a short stay. Right in the centre of Braintree.
Staff were friendly, rooms were clean, breakfast was nice and we look at our stay as a fun experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for the comments you have left on our Hotel here in Braintree. The issues with the window has been addressed. Thank you for understanding that some of these listed buildings have the 'oldie worldly' feel due to the age of these beautiful places, houses and inns we acquire for the estate.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

we had a really good experience staying at this hotel, the reception staff and bar staff was amazing and went out of their way to welcome us. also anything we needed was provided and more and we will be visiting again:)

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments you have left about the team here at the white hart hotel. We lookforward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2018

We had a farewell dinner in the restaurant for a colleague. I had my reservations about the place before I attended but hoped that I was wrong. Unfortunately everything was as I dreaded. The bar lady was not very friendly and the food was dreadful. I love smoked salmon but I serve a much better smoked salmon dish at home. The main course was chicken with some sauce and over cooked frozen vegetables. We were ushered out of the restaurant shortly after the meal. Definitely would not go there again.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay or to eat.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Hi Clive,

Thank you for the feedback you have left for us here at the White Hart Hotel. I am sorry about the level of service you received at the bar and I can assure that this has been addressed with the team. The food quality is an issue I have brought up with my kitchen manager and we have looked in to the products in question and also the cooking process. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your experience on that night. If you would like to call us and discuss the matter further our number is 01376 321401.

Kind Regards,