“WONDERFUL STAY-WILL GO BACK!”
Review of Channels Lodge

and 1 more site!
Channels Lodge
Ranked #1 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2017

We recently visited Channels Lodge after I booked a one night stay as a birthday surprise for my partner using the groupon deal and we absolutely LOVED it here.
We stayed n the maple room which was bright and cosy, and even though a smaller room was sill comfortable and spacious for us 2. I will say now that if you are hoping to go, book in advance as when I was selecting dates the weekends were filled with wedding events and we were lucky t squeeze in when we did.
10 mins from central Chelmsford which is perfect if you are looking for a more relaxed weekend as we were, yet still close enough if you wish to travel in for the evening.
The room was lovely, loved the french doors and velux windows; shame about the scaffolding on the building in front of us as this blocked our view but was not too much of an issue. Smart TV with Sky so you can snuggle up to a movie if you wish, and the best part- a large comfy king size bed with plump pillows for a good nights sleep. The bathroom was lush too- shower very powerful and towels were nice and soft. Bath was big and even my boyfriend over 6 foot could relax in there!
Robes and slippers also available too.
Mini bar in room but had to pay to use anything in there. Though coffee and tea, hot chocolate etc was free.
Iron and board also in room which we though of as a bonus!

We booed into the restaurant for the evening and the staff were very lovely and welcoming. Food was delicious and we enjoyed the hearty meal we had. I had the Camembert to start which was yum and my partner had the giant prawns which were tasty too- though you must deshell these yourselves.
I had the hash for main which i really enjoyed and y partner had the chicken with champagne and mushroom sauce main (not on the menu but a regular dish now) and for dessert I had lemon and lime posset which was nice and refreshing and he had the baked Alaska- in all we could not fault the restaurant or staff here and we enjoyed the meal.

A wedding was on that evening but the rooms are located well to avoid any loud music and the party going on which was nice as it meant an distributed sleep.

Breakfast was from a menu and finished at 10am (I think the website may say 11?) but was again very good- I went for the Eggs Benedict and was very very happy with my choice!

The only reason I did not rate it 5 stars was due to the fact that when we arrived there was no one at reception ad the door was locked with a pass code needed. Luckily guests at the hotel found us struggling and gave us the code to get our keys but had we not met them we are not very sure on how we would have got in! They said they received a text however I did not so this was a let down. I also felt it would have been nice to have met someone at the desk and been welcomed with all the info as we were unsure on times and what not. We arrived just after 5pm and so perhaps reception had left but in comparisons to other places where I have stayed and met the staff on reception, it would have been the finishing touch.
However that said, we did meet someone on Sunday on check out and they were really really lovely.

All in all, I would recommend channels- lovely location with beautiful accommodation. We will be back and hopefully next time we will be able to book a suite!

Room Tip: book well in advance if you would like a suite, though saying that the normal rooms are still very n...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

I read this excellent and very detailed review with both pleasure and concern. Pleasure at the recommendation and kind things that were said about us but concern that an email sent on 10th April, setting out arrival instructions in the event that the reception desk is unmanned, was not received. I, nevertheless, take consolation from the fact that a future booking may soon be on the cards. Simon Larner

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a 1 night stay at Channels Lodge using a Groupon offer. With a stay in one of the lovely lodge executive rooms we stayed in Holly room.
Included in our offer was dinner. We went for the roast and both agreed it was the best roast dinner we ever had, a drink with the meal was also included. We also agreed the bed / bedding was the best we have ever experienced. It was unbelievably comfortable! Best nights sleep ever! Comfortable robes are also provided.
Amazing rooms and very welcoming, friendly and helpful staff. Free Wifi and a welcome bonus having Sky TV in the room. Such a pretty venue, we had a lovely peaceful night away. Breakfast the next morning was lovely and very filling. Beautiful rooms. Very clean and modern I would definitely recommend this venue and I would def stay again. Thank you to all the staff for a lovely weekend.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

I shall let this five star review speak for itself since to do otherwise might seem immodest. I can, however, assure our guests that their thanks have been passed to the members of our team who join with me in hoping that a return visit may not be too long delayed. Simon Larner

Reviewed 27 April 2017

The room was beautifully appointed with a comfortable bed and great attention to detail. It was easy to get work done with a good desk. The people I met were all frendly and helpful. The food was excellent and also great value. The location is very quiet & restfull. I will stay here again as long as the value remains the same.

Room Tip: They are all on the ground floor in a converted barn type of building. The fronts are all glass.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

At a time when budgets are under increasing pressure, to read a review which highlights value for money is very encouraging. And, since I can assure our guest that this is a policy which we will continue to follow commensurate with the high standard to which he also refers, I hope that we may soon have the pleasure of again welcoming him to Channels Lodge. Simon Larner

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

What a lovely place, my hotel room was spacious and very nicely done. Gorgeous location, lovely dinner in the bar. It has definitely gone on my favourites list for a future visit. It's so comfortable ...... I may not leave

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business

Although 'jackpot' is a word normally associated with gambling I am happy to say that this very gracious review points to the fact that at Channels Lodge we do our best to ensure that nothing is left to chance. Simon Larner

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

A lovely place finished to a very high standard and lovely and peaceful of an evening. A really nice breakfast in the golf club next door and far enough outside of Chelmsford to feel you are almost in the country.
Tried it once and just booked some more, represents great value!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2017

The ultimate vote of confidence in any hotel is a rebooking following an enjoyable stay and I am grateful to our guest for mentioning it in this very kind review. Simon Larner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
5.1 km away
4.1 km away
Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Best Western Atlantic Hotel
#6 of 10 in Chelmsford

Been to Channels Lodge? Share your experiences!