“Terrible hotel awful experience”

Saracens Head Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the hotel for 1 night and arrived at the hotel around 2am, we were told there was a night porter and when we arrived there was no one in sight, the front door was left wide open which we felt was quite dodgy, we headed to our room to find the hotel door was locked and no one was around to let us in, it said to call a number and we rung it 5 times and no one answered, it took us ages to get into the room we'd paid £60 for !! If that wasn't bad enough we were rudely awoken by club music being played at 7:40am out the front of the pub, it was so loud as it was directly below our room (room 2), I had no idea why they'd play awful music at that time in the morning especially when they have a hotel full of sleeping guests !! When i confronted the lady at the front desk she gave me the blankest look and said the most unconvincing sorry i'd ever heard, no mention of any money back or even that she cared, awful, old fashioned and scummy place with no respect for the guests, no point them having a hotel at all.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bethany C

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Parked at the back of the Hotel, enter through the seated public drinking and smoking not very nice, shabby, untidy. The reception is not obvious so wait about for help. Rooms really vary we paid £98 a night for two nights once we seen our room we were not pleased as it was small and windows opened onto the noisy patio drinking and smoking area. We moved to another room not great if your claustrophobic it has not much natural lighting as tiny windows onto the parking area only very hot but we did get a Fan. It was clean and neat. Dinner on one evening was basic but nice and they did have a DJ on who was good. Breakfast was good. For a very short stay over probably not to bad but would not rush there again.

Room Tip: Rooms to the left of the car park a bit bigger
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2017

This place is a complete dump, the room was a cupboard, not a room with no outside window - the shower was rotting around the bottom - overall it was disgusting. The reception area was shabby and dirty too. We ended up actually not staying here as it was that bad. In all the years I have stayed at hotels I have never seen anything as bad as this. This room was worth no where near the £60 they charged us. I just cannot describe how bad it was in words - just please do not every go and stay there!

Room Tip: Please do not bother to try and book a room it's absolutely disgusting
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

When I arrived it looked like a nice, quaint hotel from the outside, but I was in for a surprise. In order to get to the front desk you have to go through the restaurant and then I was brought to the back of the hotel through the restaurant patio and parking lot to a barn-like structure with a set of rooms (motel style) facing the parking lot. Once inside the room, the door was actually a two piece barn door secured with two separate locks.
The room was very small, which isn't a problem if it's nice, which this was not. My bathroom towel had a dead fly wrapped in it, the bed had hair and stains, the overall cleanliness left much to be desired.
The room was very noisy because the patio was close and the music and people made it very loud, not to mention the cars coming and going on the gravel parking lot. Needless to say I didn't get much of any sleep that night.
Yes, its cheap, but no, its not worth it- at all.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Restless13Soul
Reviewed 25 May 2017

What can I say other than it did the job for one nights stay, just. Arrived and greeted by two members of staff who were friendly, one of which showed me the way upstairs and checked me into the room. Very basic and fairly clean. Couldn't find a remote for the tv and the main light fixture has dropped from the ceiling which I didn't see until I was about to go to sleep, cue another 5 minutes of wondering if it was going to fall onto me in the night (it didn't). It's just basic safety really to have something like that fixed. Bed was comfortable for me though. After sorting my things I went downstairs for something to eat at 8:30pm to be told the kitchen was closed as they'd had no one in since 7:30pm. Fair enough but it would have been useful to know when I'd been checked in, the staff recommended places to me but again that communication would have been helpful. Wifi is very hit and miss in room 8 so if you have work to do, best to sit where it's strongest. Would I stay again? Will probably check Airbnb first if I have enough notice next time.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business