“Lovely Roast Dinner”

The Mews
Ranked #38 of 721 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Price range: US$23 - US$78
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I ate here based on a recommendation from his colleague. We were in Southend for the ballet showing at Cliffs Pavillion so booked to have a Sunday roast beforehand. We had a table booked for 3pm but arrived a little early on the off chance we could be seated before -which we did.

The tables upstairs are close together, unfortunately we were seated next to the ladies toilet but thankfully not too many people went there during our meal. You can hear the dryer so if lots of people go past for the toilet I can imagine it would get pretty annoying. Also, when we arrived there was a man sitting on the table behind who thought he could take up all the space so I had to slither into my chair otherwise our table would have blocked the ladies toilet. Thankfully they left not long after we arrived.

Having used the ladies toilet - they were a little cold and the hand dryer is pretty much useless.

We both had starters, I had vegetable spring rolls which were lovely! Surprised at the amount of 9 but demolished them easy enough. And my partner had soup which he enjoyed. We then both had a roast, we have not found a roast decent enough to return to the place yet so we were a little hesitant. Needless to say, it was lovely. The meat was lovely, Yorkshire pudding was good, roast potatoes and vegetables were lovely. Also comes with a side of cauliflower cheese which neither of us like so if we knew the side dishes were in separate dishes to our main we would have asked them not to serve it (saves waste).
After our mains neither of us could stomach any more food as we were both so full so we opted for coffee.

The service was a little slow but we were in no rush so this wasn't an issue for us.

Quirky little place and hidden from the main hustle and bustle of Southend. Would recommend and I'm sure we will be back to try the other dishes on the menu as they sounded great too.

Overall.. Would recommend.

1  Thank DYWxox

Reviewed 1 April 2018

The roast was overdone and in small pieces, the Yorkshire OK but the veg were good.
The dessert was expensive OK but the portions were tiny. The mismatched chairs and brick walls create a drab atmosphere.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Went here for my sons birthday and daughter in laws birthday in a family group of 7. We were welcomed by the staff and shown to our table which was upstairs immediately.
The restaurant was very busy and quite honestly a little noisy. But we settled down at our table and were asked if we wanted any drinks. A little later we were provided with the menus and ordered almost immediately. Good service, although one of the waitresses did drop a bottle of Corona over my wife! Food was really good and can certainly recommend the Prawn and Crayfish Cocktail as a starter and the Pork Belly for main course. Not to expensive and good value for money. Will definitely be back soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We went for late Sunday lunch and I had the roast pork with yorkshire pudding and all the veg. As soon as I tasted that yorkshire I knew this chef knew his stuff. It was divine and it was made with proper beef dripping. From then on I was in heaven. Everything was cooked to perfection, proper gravy too from the meat juices. Husband had barbecue pork wish was equally good. Exactly what you want on a cold Sunday (freezing cold as it happens, the little beast from the east was howling outside) . Cosy, welcoming, Sunday heaven.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I booked this for a Mother’s Day meal for a table of 14. When we arrived we was sat downstairs by the entrance which wasn’t very nice as it was cold for some of the family. We also was given a set menu for £34.95 which was not shown on the website! The service was slow and they had run out of certain things on the menu. Myself, my mother and my niece all had to be beef dinner and was up all night and day after with stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea and shivers which would suggest food poisoning! Really disappointed as we used to enjoy coming here. Won’t be returning anytime soon!