“First visit, but not the last”
Review of Pipe of Port

Pipe of Port
Ranked #11 of 688 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our crusty old Dickensian candle-lit dining rooms with mahogany tables and sawdust covered floors is one of the most atmospheric venues in town. All our food is freshly made by ourselves, we use top quality ingredients from some of the best suppliers in the county. In addition to our standard menu we always have a few "specials" and at lunchtime we serve a light lunch/snack menu. The Pipe of Port first opened its doors in 1976 as a Davy's Wine Bar before being taken over by sisters Janet & Sue and Sue's husband Stephen in 1981. One of the guiding philosophies of the family was that in an ever-changing world some things should always remain the same. This ideal is reflected in the decor and general welcoming and homely atmosphere of the Pipe of Port. The Restaurant is now run by Martin, who spent many years as manager of The Pipe of Port, before becoming a Wine Buyer for one of the UK's leading Wine Merchants. The philosphies and ideals that have defined the restaurant continue today - to bring you homemade classic & contemporary British food and world beating wines in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our cellars offer a wide range of wines from around the world and we have travelled the globe seeking out interesting winemakers with a passion for their craft.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve lived in Southend for over 30 years and had never been to the Pipe of Port. I always walk past the entrance and thought it would be a tiny dingy venue.
I visited for a friends birthday last night and I couldn’t be more wrong. The bar area was quirky and the knowledge of the bartender was amazing.

We sat down and had our meal. The food was easily one of the best meals that I have ever had. The pie was undoubtedly the best I’ve ever tasted.

For starter: Duck Pâte with toast.
Main: Chicken and Chestnut pie with dauphinoise potatoes
Dessert: Lemon Meringue Pie

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had a delicious meal here and the service was fantastic. The wine menu is extensive. We recommend the pies here, they are heavenly, there were 4 of us at our table and we all had a fantastic pie each. The portion size is also generous making it great value for money. We will return again and thoroughly recommend visiting here.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

A rather dark dining area reached by steep stairs.it was a bit cramped for space and quite busy so service was not the best . Menu was quite varied but not for picky eaters.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Have been a great fan of The Pipe of Port for many years and have never had a disappointing meal. Sadly the pies are so delicious I struggle to divert my attention to other food offerings on the menu.

My favourite dishes are - pate and toast for starter, followed by the large Chicken and Chestnut pie and finished off with the lemon meringue pie. Anyway, my next visit is already in the diary and am challenging myself to break from tradition and try something different. I know that it will be just as lovely but it's gong to be hard to to be swayed.

I love the ambience of the restaurant. I am sure that many of the customers are people like me that have been going for years.

You can expect excellent, friendly service and a wine list to impress.

Thank deborah.w
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Have been visiting The Pipe of Port for well over 20 years and have never been disappointed.

The unique style of this bar/restaurant with bar fittings from a 'real' wine bar (!) make it a unique atmosphere. Their reputation for home-made pies is well known but my favourite is the cold beef with jacket potato - always excellent.

Staff are always very polite and knowledgeable about their menu.