“Most Satisfying 70th Birthday Celebration”

Alvaro's Portuguese Restaurant
Price range: US$16 - US$35
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Alvaro's restaurant, established in 1977, serves Portugese and Mediterranean cuisine with silver service.
Reviewed 6 June 2018

I now live in Spain but have been to this restaurant a long time ago. So on our visit to Westcliff we decided to bring our family (14 of us) to Alvaro’s to celebrate my 70th birthday. It turned out to be an excellent choice, the warm old fashioned ambience was much as I remembered it. Impeccable service and my piri piri chicken was deliciously spicy. Two of our boys had the prawns & scallops on elaborate skewers that looked amazing and the waiters were especially attentive to our grandchildren’s needs. We’d like to thank all staff for helping to make this a very special occasion and will definitely not leave it so long for our return visit.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank joycol

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

My parents have been going to Alvaro’s for nearly 40 years, and to be fair I have been here as a child and on a few special occasions over the years..... this is my Dad’s favourite restaurant and this is man who is quick to criticise badly cooked food. This place is consistently fantastic, the ingredients are high quality, the cooking is excellent and the service is “old school” ...... some of the staff have been there for decades and it’s absolutely first class! Friendly staff, the decor is dated now but really well maintained..... it has charm in abundance. As a family we love this place!

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank SandunD
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Great Portuguese restaurant..very professional..Attentive service..Excellent food..
opened i believe in 1979.. so almost 40 years...must be doing something right..
Bar area a little small for pre dinner drink...and a smaller more compact menu would be better..With seasonal specials...but that's just me...Otherwise a really enjoyable experience...

1  Thank littlearches
Reviewed 16 April 2018

recommended by a friend whos quote "possibly one of the best restaurants in essex "`... i tend to agree , stuck in a time warp but thats the beauty such attention to the customers and the level of food were so refreshing it made the experience a delight as opposed to going to a chain and being served by someone who doesnt care .
staff are truly a delight , food was exceptional , high degree of choice ... this may now tick my box as being my special place .. will return often , loved it

1  Thank fa4day
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Love this restaurant. You start off in the bar area with a drink looking at menus and you finish with a dessert from the sweet trolley. A lovely throwback to days gone by. Friendly service, great food. Give it a try

1  Thank CaptAndyK