Champneys Tring
US$138
US$134
Premier Inn Tring Hotel(Tring)(Great Value!)
US$74
PremierInn.com
West Lodge Hotel(Aston Clinton)
US$104
The Kings Arms(Berkhamsted)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,943 results
All reviewsthalassotherapy pooloutdoor jacuzzirelaxation roomhealthy foodhealth spaexercise classesterrace cafewater bedspremier roomdrawing roomnight breakmansion housedetox centrethalassotherapy sessionrelaxing breaksteam roomsun loungers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While not horrible, I would never call Champneys luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. We were pointed to our room, but after walking quite a ways realised we were never given keys. The rooms are 3-star at best. Clean, but nothing fancy. We booked treatments and afternoon tea, which times we were not able to choose and were only told when upon arrival. Guests are encouraged to walk around in nothing but a bathrobe, which was off-putting. The included breakfast is continental. If you want anything hot there is a surcharge. I ordered espresso and was told it would take a few minutes. After 20 minutes we had finished eating, espresso never came.

All was not lost however. Dinner was very good with very polite service, and the quality of the food was exceptional. Particularly the sweet lebneh. The massages were also very good, odd as it was to sit in a room of other people waiting for my "number" to be called. It did lack a personal touch you will find in a proper spa.

If you've ever been to spa in Bali or Spain or California, you might find Champneys lacking that special touch that makes all those others quite extraordinary. They run a good service that's easy to get to from London, but they seem to be lacking the "why" of running a spa.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amintn
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to visit Champneys with a friend for an overnight stay.
We were welcomed by lovely Julie who gave us a welcome drink, and robes/flip flops. As we had booked on early arrival we went straight off for a yummy lunch. Lunch consisted of a whole variety of healthy options; both cold and hot.
There are some really great facilities at Tring, and as they are spread out around the resort nothing ever feels particularly busy. (Even if the resort is full) my favourites were the outdoor hot tubs and the relaxation room with the jacuzzi.

I was disappointed in first treatment, which I won’t go into on here as it didn’t ruin my stay. This was because day manager Emma was exceptionally helpful and professional in discussing my experience and subsequently organising for me to have another treatment the following day. For my second treatment, I had a premier therapist Sophie, I would honestly highly recommend her. She was great!!! Made my stay, I’m now so relaxed.

Overall I had a wonderful stay and would recommend to everyone. Shout out to the chocolate fondant desert at the dinner - this is not to be missed (even if a little naughty).

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a really great stay at Champneys in Tring. This is my second visit and thinking my last stay could not be beaten, how wrong I was! Brilliant service from Julie at check in, Enrique and the restaurant team, fabulous pedicure from Chloe H and a lovely check out from Sarah who remembered me from my last visit. Looking forward to returning later on in the year! Facilities are amazing (Relaxation room with the jacuzzi is to die for), food is 5* and recommend the chocolate dessert!!! Thank you to the team at Tring for making me feel a million dollars.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank josiescottxx
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It was my first time here and I really enjoyed it. The staff were exceptional and made the experience great, from the time I was greeted at reception to when I checked out.

Yes it’s an old building and does need some attention, but it’s beautiful and steeped in history. The grounds were well maintained and looked great in the sunshine. The room was clean, bed comfy - in need of some tic, but if you’re not spending the majority of your time there...so what!

My favourite place was the thasso experience - I got there early to avoid the crowd. The swimming pool was nice, bright and quiet.

For dinner, the food was good and the service on the restaurant friendly and attentive. Breakfast could be improved, didn’t stay for lunch.

Overall, I enjoyed - suitably relaxing!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Vanessa F
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a one night break here with my sister last week and we were both in agreement that it was nice, there are better Spas in the area (Sopwell House in St Albans is half the price). Upon arrival we were given a welcome drink, which although a nice gesture, didn't taste all that good. We were in a superior room, overlooking the gardens which was lovely but i'm not sure it was superior. We also double checked that it was a twin room only to get to the room and find a king sized bed - it took three conversations with reception to get this resolved! The room could do with some modernising though as it was looking a little dated.

The spa areas were nice and being midweek not too busy but I recently visited Aqua Sana at Woburn Forest which blows this out of the water!!

The treatments we had were lovely (facial, body wrap and massage) and while the waiting areas were lovely, the treatment rooms felt a little cold and dated.

On to the food - dinner was very good indeed, my sister and I are foodies and couldn't grumble at it. Breakfast was delicious but for a package that was over £700 for one night I was shocked to find out we had to pay for eggs!! Lunch was also very good with a big selection of hot and cold foods.

We purchased some fab bits in the shop though, fantastically priced Champneys products which I am enjoying using at home.

Overall, while its nice, it does feel a little like its reputation is better than the experience. As i sad earlier, it wasn't cheap and I think for the prices they charge they could do more for their guests. Our robes felt old and well used, the issue with the beds really annoyed me and I feel that they should include more for the price. I'm not sure I would visit again given that there are places nearby that offer a better experience for less of a price

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family