Albion Hotel
Rockstone Cottage(Freshwater)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssea viewfreshwater bayswimming pool and jacuzzicourse mealsound of the wavesbreakfast and dinnersuperb locationbath and showerbirthday treatenormous bathroompublic roomsisle of wightcouple of nightschanging roomscomfy bedfantastic viewslovely room
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Don'yt stay here. the food is something out of this world - i mean literally. No one in this world would be stupid enough to est any of it. From arguing and fighting over well who knows what while serving us whatever that was they tried to serve us this hotel has it all. It wsn't entertainmrnt the hotel really doesn't care what its poor guests have to be subjeted to. it is clean will give it that. The room was nice even though it wasn't the room we paid for (sea view) loved hoe wecouldn't watch TV because it was to the side of thebed and not the front of it like every other normal hotel on the planet.

The bathroom waslovely if only the rest of the hotel was like that.

Ca park was damright dangrous couldn't possibly wheel luggae over those massive holes in the pavement.. My partner who hasn tlomg been walking had a hard time trying to negotiate all the stones, holes,rocks,puddles and whatever elee in the way before spending 15 minutes trying to find the non sigh posted entrance to the hotel (let alone reception) the hotel hasmultiple entrances none of which go to reception!

staff didnt seem to know what they were doing. I was allergic to certain foods asked what as in it they didnt kow. Even the cheff didnt know what was in his meal. Very dangerous and very disorganised. Hotel have no idea what they are doing. We ordered drinks,did they come? NO? Never did get anythingb to drink had to go out for that.
The pool requires a pin whicih they didnt give us, not did they tell us where it was or how to get there, its opening hoursor anythingb else for thst matter. Spent an hour going through fire doors and getting told off trying to find it. Then they showed us where it was but forgot about the code. Stupid. Staff have no idea. By the time we got the code the pool had closed, well it was supposed to be but when we walked past at 11pm there were stilll people in there shows how much the staff checktheir facilities

Don't stay here, beautiful hotel let down by its staff and its food.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinkwombat
Reviewed 29 March 2018

I have to think carefully about this review because there were some good things about this hotel. The location which is on the sea front overlooking the beach for one and um... well I am sure there are others!

The hotel had a generally old fashioned feel, I felt like I had gone back into a completely different timezone (not this century) where nothing was ordered to make sense and nothing was supposed to be logical or look good, The carpet, the wallpaper, the whole internal feel - just needed a complete makeover.

The hotel had a restaurant and we decided to go with the.3 course meal option for £13.00. This was a big mistake and I wish we had have just driven down the road into town and got food there. The hotel's food is at the moment diabolical, it was the worst experience I have had from a hotel. This is a 3 star hotel not a guest house but the service that we had the other night was the worst I had ever seen, Where do we begin

The menu - it was badly printed and I couldn't read the sentences on it so I didn't know what was on offer. I asked to see another menu but the waitress ignored me and kept asking me what I wanted. She could clearly see there were missing words, sentences, paragraphs you name it, She could barely speak English I was not impressed. I couldn't communicate with this women at all. We asked for cokes, 45 minutes later the manager comes in to ask if we had our drinks to which we said "no". Goes off gets them for us, apologises and we wait for our start. Nearly an hour later we get a flavourless soup that neither of us ate, An hour and 40 minutes later we get our main meals. I had HAKE which is apparently fish but whatever they served up on my plate tasted like perfume and was completely inedible. At the very least make your food inviting, it looked nothing of the sort. The dessert was out of a packet, still badly cooked cooked and old - apple crumble. I ate the apple not the crumble! My partner spent the night on the toilet as did I with a tummy ache. I hardly touched my food so to be fair I think it could have been a lot worse.

There were a lot of arguments in that restaurants. We personally witnessed several members of staff screaming at each other, smashing plates in the kitchen and swearing at both objects and other staff, We had kids sat next to us cannot believe they were subjected to that.

The couple next to us was moved because the table was reserved only not to be used by another guest. I found that hilarious as there were only 2 tables eating in the restaurant and they had I dunno 30 tables spare (the entire restaurant) The level of service was .... well I don't know how to describe it. It wasn't anything there was real service. It was a total mess.

I couldn't work out how to get into the pool. I was told off for walking out of the fire exit looking for the entrance to it. I suggested they put a sign on the door he looked so confused by it. Turns out you need a code to use the pool, the code wasn't given to us.

We asked for a sea view, told that would be an extra £20.00. We didn't get it. The hotel like to copy your credit / debit card take copies of your id and anything else that might be used for ID theft, Thats the point in booking online - no personally identifiable information shared.

The hotel have a car park that is literally falling apart. Full of potholes and loose gravel was very dangerous for both your vehicle and your feet. no real signs telling you were the entrance to the hotel is (we walked through the bar) The bar wasn't a popular place for people to be clearly as it was empty all night.

The pool was ok, the whirlpool was cold.

They had a scheme where you had to stick a sicker informing the hotel you are parking there explaining how many nights etc etc. This is silly as it can easily be copied and printed yourself.

TV was put in a position where we coudnt both watch it. Put it infant of the bed not to the side.

Decent amount of plugs by bed, clean room, lovely modern bathroom, nice bath, hot running water, newish furniture, all the lights worked, the room was fine apart from the TV location.

The hotel's restaurant should be shut down while they employ staff that can both cook and speak English.

The hotel had free wifi, it worked well

The Albion, the 3 star mess that you should avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here because it’s right on the coastal path and good for hiking. I have to say expectations were low so that might be why I was pleasantly surprised! Very spacious rooms which were comfortable enough with reasonable amenities. There’s not many places (? any) to eat in the bay so we ate in the hotel - for £13 a head for 3 courses and the food was basic yet satisfying, the kind of food I might cook myself at home, but that’s fine. The bar was slightly on the pricey side, but that’s standard for hotels. The entire place seems quite dated and old fashioned in its decor and furnishings, but in a weird way that kind of adds to the charm and gives it a kitsch, retro “faulty-towers-minus-the-incompetence” vibe which I enjoyed!

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

When approaching the hotel, you think, wow, look at that view. Right by the sea. The nearer you got you realise how tired the hotel looks. We parked in the car park. Full of pot holes and missing tarmac. The same on the path leading to the front door. Very dangerous underfoot, and no way of wheeling luggage. Going into the hotel was like entering a time warp, not sure which decade it is in, certainly not 21st century! All areas were very clean and tidy, and staff friendly. We asked for a room with a sea view. Large comfortable room, bathroom with shower and bath which was nice. However, curtains were very faded, as was the duvet cover. The hotel is trying to be eco friendly, so there are rules. ' The towels are there for the duration of your stay, do not leave them in the shower, bath, or on the floor. Hang them up to dry' Glad we were there for 2 nights and not 2 weeks! 'Do not turn the heating up, close the curtains' it was freezing cold and snowing whilst we were there, did I want my curtains closed at 5.00pm? No, what point having a sea view? Whilst one tea and coffee was provided, if you wanted more it was suggested ' you go the supermarket and buy your own' and so it goes on. As the weather was so bad we decided to try the hotel restaurant for dinner. Set meal for 13.00GBP. At that price we weren't really expecting much, which was just as well as the meal was mediocre at best. Just after 8.30pm we were asked to take our drinks to the bar as the restaurant was closed! Obviously we agreed, no one in the bar, not surprising as there was no heating. So cold. Went into the lounge which was not much better. Drank up quickly and headed for bed. Warm in the room. Thought we wouldn't bother with breakfast after the previous evenings experience. Would I go again? No! Would I recommend it? No!
Heard today it has been bought, and now has new owners. Hope it improves!

2  Thank Daca60
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Spent a week in the summer here. It was so good we came back in the winter. And we still loved it. The hotel looks like it’s been around for along time. The rooms are spacious the staff are very friendly and helpful. 10/10.