“Freezing cold xmas party!”
Review of The Three Chimneys

The Three Chimneys
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Price range: US$5 - US$28
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Fresh ingredients cooked to order - locally sourced wherever possible. We love whatever is in season!
Reviewed 18 December 2017

After reading this was an award winning pub I was looking forward to our xmas party last Friday, but regrettably very disappointed. We were a party of 9 and they put us in the back conservatory. This may well be fine in the summer but was freezing cold with a draft coming through the patio doors. One person kept their winter coat on throughout the entire meal. The only heating in the room was an electric fire which did very little. For starters I had mushrooms, but asked whether they could swap the goats cheese for cheddar which they did, but on the bed of lettuce I was given just one very small mushroom which was inadequate. I had sea bream for mains which was o.k. but was placed in a bowl and resembled a fish stew so I left most of it. Whist the staff were polite, nobody came back to the table to ask if we were happy with our food. So freezing cold, I asked if I could have custard on my dessert to warm me up and was told no. The room other rooms inside the pub seemed to be nice and warm as you would expect, but this was a very unpleasant experience and I will not visit this pub again.

2  Thank Pauline T

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Our first visit (party of 4) which got off to a slightly hesitant start when after asking for some menus we were told we could have one when it became available ! All became clearer when we realised the menu was on a large blackboard. We thought the choice was tempting although the lamb cutlets (one of our choices) was off which was disappointing. As gastro pubs go the food was ok at but a bit more effort in the presentation would definitely make a difference. Portion sizes could be smaller too.
The service was ok but an effort to clear the tables of unwanted glasses and crockery should be made.
The weather was very cold at the time of our visit but the restaurant was certainly warm enough.
Reasonably priced.
I will give this pub 3 out of 5 but it could easily be 4 out of 5 with a bit of attention to detail

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

I have always visited the Three Chimneys when in the area for the last 6 years. But recently it just isn’t living up to its standards. The food, wine and ales I cannot fault.

However...

Staff need to learn manners and become more professional when dealing with customers. Very rude and all made us feel a burden we were there. We sat with no waiter/waitress in site for 20 minutes. Then proceeded to the bar to find someone and all of the staff were there chatting and discussing what they would like for dinner!! Get some training done and teach some customer service.

Will not be visiting again unless I hear good reviews from peers of its improvements of staff.

7  Thank pburnley1975
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Service was very slow - dining room a bit chilly - but atmosphere was great - starters were excellent - mains were good apart from 3 out of 8 diners who had cold steaks !! They were reheated but remained disappointing - wine and drinks were good - puddings were excellent if expensive - car park was great. Overall - would not go back

Reviewed 5 December 2017

We booked a table, as it was our first visit; and decided to order from the dinner menu, as it was a special occasion. I ordered the lamb with dauphinois, while my husband chose the sea bass. As I was driving, I had a soda water with the meal. My husband had a beer, and a glass of white wine to go with his fish.
The meal itself arrived beautifully presented. I even took photos! As we were tucking in, I noticed a slightly odd taste from one side of the potato, but didn't think much of it at the time.
We then shared a chocolate delice, before paying the bill.
When we got home, neither of us was hungry, so didn't have anything. By 7pm, I started to feel quite ill, which is extremely unusual for me. Let's just say, the next 7 hours were spent 'talking to the big white telephone' in the bathroom!
My husband 'phoned the restaurant, to let them know.

5  Thank krnhllr
CraigS70, Owner at The Three Chimneys, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

There is no link between your illness and the food you ate at The Three Chimneys. It is a medical and scientific impossibility.

We would ask you remove this libellous review with immediate effect otherwise you will leave us with no alternative but to take the matter further.

We have also contacted TripAdvisor to make them aware of your erroneous review.