“Delightful”

Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Price range: US$5 - US$28
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fresh ingredients cooked to order - locally sourced wherever possible. We love whatever is in season!
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We live locally, been coming here for c. 20 years and are never disappointed. Lovely atmosphere, great service (Leanne in particular), food excellent ....ticked all the boxes and justified a return trip asap!

Reviewed 27 December 2017

Had lunch here on December 27. The room was freezing and it took over an hour for our order to arrive. Very disappointing, and totally unacceptable. Staff not very attentive; one of them was downright rude. When the food finally came, it was good. Won't be going back in a hurry. Shame, as it's very local to us.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Wow! We stopped here on our way home. We hadn’t booked but the staff quickly accommodated us in the bar area, which was fine with us.
The menu is varied. The service was very good and friendly.
We both had the beef roast which was cooked to perfection. The food was hot and tasty. The portion size perfect.
The ale suited my husband and the cider great for me.
Thank you!

Reviewed 18 December 2017

After reading this was an award winning pub I was looking forward to our xmas party last Friday, but regrettably very disappointed. We were a party of 9 and they put us in the back conservatory. This may well be fine in the summer but was freezing cold with a draft coming through the patio doors. One person kept their winter coat on throughout the entire meal. The only heating in the room was an electric fire which did very little. For starters I had mushrooms, but asked whether they could swap the goats cheese for cheddar which they did, but on the bed of lettuce I was given just one very small mushroom which was inadequate. I had sea bream for mains which was o.k. but was placed in a bowl and resembled a fish stew so I left most of it. Whist the staff were polite, nobody came back to the table to ask if we were happy with our food. So freezing cold, I asked if I could have custard on my dessert to warm me up and was told no. The room other rooms inside the pub seemed to be nice and warm as you would expect, but this was a very unpleasant experience and I will not visit this pub again.

2  Thank Pauline T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Our first visit (party of 4) which got off to a slightly hesitant start when after asking for some menus we were told we could have one when it became available ! All became clearer when we realised the menu was on a large blackboard. We thought the choice was tempting although the lamb cutlets (one of our choices) was off which was disappointing. As gastro pubs go the food was ok at but a bit more effort in the presentation would definitely make a difference. Portion sizes could be smaller too.
The service was ok but an effort to clear the tables of unwanted glasses and crockery should be made.
The weather was very cold at the time of our visit but the restaurant was certainly warm enough.
Reasonably priced.
I will give this pub 3 out of 5 but it could easily be 4 out of 5 with a bit of attention to detail