“Lovely ales and nice food choice”

The George Hotel Cranbrook Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #10 of 19 Restaurants in Cranbrook
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Popped in 'off the cuff' for an evening meal and sat in the restaurant part. The Hotel is lovely. Superbly decorated and cosy. Drink choice was great and reasonably priced. The food we had was lovely but the only complaint is that the menu was a little limited. Service was spot on and we were not left waiting too long for our order and food. The atmosphere was great with conversation and laughter - no loud music. Toilets were clean too.Will be back.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

As a group of 10 we went to The George for dinner, sadly we had a very disappointing experience.

Starters and main courses turning up together.

Some mains cold, yet the veggies where hot.

Some people had cold chips and some had hot chips, it just didn't make sense.

My meal was lovely, but 6 of the 10 of us had a problem of one type or the other.

I felt for the young girl server, as following all the issues no one of seniority took control and came to talk to us.

1  Thank rugbyh
Reviewed 27 December 2017

In the past The George had a 'bar snacks' menu (hamburgers, risotto, salads,) and a restaurant menu. Now bar snacks means nuts and crisps. There is one menu and it is not cheap. That would not bother me if the food was the same excellent quality that it used to be. Sadly, it is not. I ordered the winter salad because the list of ingredients sounded wholesome. What arrived was embarrassing: a few dried up peas, a few skinny, shrivelled root vegetables, two whole quarters of raw onion, a few cherry tomatoes and most of a roasted chicory. This was plonked, ungarnished and undressed on a black slate. It was embarrassing just to look at. As a vegetarian, I have often been disappointed by the veggie option in pubs, but this reached a new low. The slate is totally impractical as a plate as the feel and sound of cutlery on slate is like chewing cotton wool. The food looked like the remains of someone else's roast dinner without the meat. It was insulting.The manager did not agree with me, but asked me what I would like instead. I chose the soup and he refunded the difference in cost. The soup was ok - a bit bland, but edible. Chefs! Please use plates, not boards to serve food and don't try to experiment with the appearance until you have mastered the basics of taste and texture.

1  Thank Sherrie F
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

We were a bit lonely in the restaurant but that didn’t stop the staff providing superb service and food. The set menu was great, would recommend the St Emillion to accompany just about anything. Look forward to being back, thanks again.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

The food here was not cheap. It was okay but nothing special. The surroundings were drab and dismal. The staff were okay but again not very helpful. I would not eat here again.