“An impromptu visif for coffe”
Review of Samphire

Samphire
Ranked #13 of 123 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2021

We arrived in Whitstable after a two hour drive. We were warmly welcomed for coffee but the succumbed to some food. My wife raved about the eggs Benedict Royale. All the time were there the phone kept ringing for reservations. They are extremely busy and I would think that reservations are essential for dinner.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Peter S
Write a reviewReviews (1,671)

Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

Nice staff, menu was boring and nothing tasted exceptional. I would normally have given a 3/5 but given they’ve been closed for 6 months, I’ve given them the benefit of the doubt. The wine list was not good, all wines had a poor rating on vivino.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 9 January 2021

I visited Samphire today after cycling to Whitstable from Canterbury on the Crab & Winkle way. When I arrived in Whitstable I cycled along the seafront towards Herne Bay, then my fingers and toes started getting uncomfortably cold and I wanted to warm up.

Riding through town I saw Samphire was open for takeaway and I stopped for a chat with Dee who was working there. She made me a flat white and I took a chocolate brownie to go with it. Dee was chatty, positive and helpful and it was gratifying to see a small business attempting to survive in these strange times when almost all small businesses are closed.

I will definitely visit again and try the lunch menu next time. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: January 2021
2  Thank Howard F
Reviewed 19 November 2020 via mobile

I visited samphire with a friend while staying in whitstable for a weekend getaway. It came recommended so we were looking forward to it. It has a lovely atmosphere but the food was average. My friend had a vegetarian option which she liked and I ordered the pork main. It was terrible. It came on a tiny plate swimming in watery red cabbage. And at £18.00, it definitely wasn’t worth the price.

On another note I wasn’t comfortable with their social distancing set up. In fact there was none. All tables were occupied and customers were back to back if you were seated on a table for two. I would have expected moveable partitions as other restaurants have done or reduced capacity. We were very uncomfortable. Staff wore ppe but that seemed the only covid compliant measure in place from the customer experience point of view.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank michellelS1027NY
Reviewed 14 November 2020 via mobile

Booked online a few days before, mentioned it was our anniversary and asked for a nice table if possible. Staff were fab, we had a lovely window seat, lovely message in the table, topped off with a great breakfast.
Would definitely return.