“No fireworks but very safe hands.”
Review of Samphire

Samphire
Ranked #12 of 121 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On a visit to Whitstable we were recommended this restaurant and it certainly didn’t disappoint.
My partner and I had two courses each and shared a pud.

I had the croquettes for starter and fish pie for main and my partner had the special of Cassoulet for starter and Trout for main. All dishes were tasty and very nicely cooked - certainly no complaints but we would have liked to see some more adventurous dishes.

We would definitely visit Samphire again as the atmosphere was lovely and it was a very pleasant evening.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had first attended a function at Samphire a few years back and was very impressed by the elaborate food and knowledgeable staff. We returned for brunch multiple times; particularly enjoying their Eggs Benedict. We have always been impressed with their choice of wines, as well as their other beverage options.

Their menu always follows the seasons and at home we chatted about where should you go to eat after lockdown. Samphire was top of the list. Unanimously in fact; which is most unusual for us to ever agree on anything. Just prior to lockdown we found both the trout and the pork at Samphire to be so flavorful. It was a memorable visit accompanied by visiting friends from France who were very impressed. Also the staff really make us feel at home. The staff have always been so knowledgeable when it came to guiding us, helping pairing our choices with the right wine. It seemed a natural decision to return to this restaurant as they reopened.

Our latest experience was “day one” after lockdown for an abundant lunch. We discussed the menu outside and were suitably impressed, yet again, by the wide choice of options on the menu. As we entered, other diners were praising the waiter, particularly the chicken liver parfait with a sourdoughs bread just as we were sat down at a lovely window table. I explained that I was familiar with the establishment, and was keen to try their seafood options. I ordered the homemade salt sake croquettes with a squid ink aioli which was fantastic. Staff recommended a vino verde to accompany that dish. We also ordered the chicken liver parfait and was not dissolved. It was so smooth, just like a foie gras which was accompanied with a very tasty red onion and maybe port marmalade, which paired very nicely on the sourdough bread. The pistou for main with beetroot, polenta and other ingredients was sublime. Hence deciding to write this review, which I rarely do.

In terms of overall experience, we were so pleased to be back in a restaurant for the first time this year. The premises is extremely clean, the atmosphere is lovely and the proprietor always takes time to make us feel welcome. We also loved all their improvements to the ambiance; their new lighting in the window area where we sat is very stylish. I said to the owner, George, the service nails it every single time, and the food is both delicious and beautifully presented. We can’t wait to go back one evening next week.

1  Thank FelipeUK
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here for breakfast with my wife after reading good reviews. Two young ladies saw us in and sat us at a table. Both were polite and the restaurant appeared to be very nice and clean. Breakfast ordered and drinks on table I could see into the open kitchen where 4 or 5 staff appeared to be busy cooking and plating the food. However I then noticed a lady in the kitchen who appeared to be making some kind of sauce. To check the flavour the dipped her finger in and licked it off 5 TIMES that I saw without cleaning her hands and I think the chap next to her done the same thing. Breakfast was soon delivered to the table and looked very nice but we had lost our appetites and explained why to the waitress. I offered to pay for the drinks which the waitress waived and left. Don’t think we will be going back.
Morale of the story is that if you have an open plan kitchen learn how to behave properly in it.

3  Thank Nige1904
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What an amazing place! Everything about this restaurant is top quality- food is first class; top quality local produce, drinks menu is great, it’s an amazing atmosphere and the staff are AMAZING! Highly recommended for an outstanding meal. They even decorated our table for us for our anniversary- such a lovely touch. Thanks to all the team for a really lovely evening.

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank Trek30966775449
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were only able to book online & not in person - which was a bit strange considering that their Website had problems earlier in that day. But we persevered & did book online. It was well worth it. The food was delicious & the service was very good. It's all seasonal fresh food & the menu was on the board.

1  Thank Cathy L