“Just fell slightly short of expectations”

Northcote Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Langho
Price range: US$0 - US$187
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Michelin Star restaurant led by Executive Head Chef Lisa Goodwin-Allen. The Northcote restaurant is elegant, stylish and sophisticated with views of the garden and distant hills of the beautiful Ribble Valley. Dishes are visual, elegant and packed full of great flavours and textures. Inspiration for Lisa's dishes always starts with the produce, from the relationships built with local & regional suppliers and understanding the heritage of the land.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been to Northcote on a number of occasions and always found it to be excellent but this time it fell very slightly short of that.

I took my daughter as a treat for recently presenting me with a wonderful grandchild and because Northtcote was on her list of desirable restaurants. The staff were great as always, the food and wine excellent, some of it exquisite however the service was somewhat comical.

We chose the gourmet taster menu consisting of eight courses but we got nine. This was because we received a course meant for another table - scallops that weren't on our menu which we consumed without complaint. When we pointed this out there were a few red faces and some embarrassed smiles from the staff. I think maybe someone received a rollicking behind the scenes. I also ordered a drink which never arrived but appeared on my final bill but hey, mistakes happen.

Call me picky but although we had a lovely meal and experience , the staff seemed a little flustered and not what you expect from an establishment of this calibre.

Like I said, just short of excellent but we will forgive them this once.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took my husband for lunch yesterday and the food was absolutely stunning. We chose from the seasonal menu and as I am vegetarian, I was able to choose dishes from the plant based tasting menu. We had the minestrone soup which was amazing, my husband had steak and I had the mushroom dish and we both had cheeses for dessert, we loved it. They even brought my husband some mini cakes for his birthday. The price understandably reflects the fact that this is a Michelin star restaurant. We even had our photo taken with Lisa. The waiters were really friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back.

Louise P, Manager at Northcote Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Tracy

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review of Northcote! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We are always delighted to read that our guests have had such a wonderful experience.
Thank you again and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

We are holidaying in Lancashire and booked this restaurant to carry in our tasting menu tour.
The staff were extremely friendly. The food was delicious if not a little safe for a tasting menu. The English onion French style was particularly delicious. The apple pie dessert was unexpected.
Well worth a visit.

Dear Lottiegen,

Thank you so much for this great review, i must say a tasting menu tour sounds fun! We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us, i also am i huge fan of the English onion.

Good luck with the rest of your tour and we look forward to seeing you again next time.

Kindest

Reviewed 15 April 2018

My wife and I visited for Sunday lunch, but we were rather disappointed. The staff were wonderful and did their very best to make our meal a pleasant experience. However, the meal itself was lacking. The canapes didn't excite; indeed the sausage rolls slices were a touch sour. The cauliflower soup was the highlight of the meal, which really ought not to be the case. My starter of chicken oysters was overcooked so that they were rubbery and crumbled far too easily. Worse still, they didn't taste of much at all. My wife said her mussel dish was the worst she'd ever eaten - So much so that she gave up after a few forkfuls. My main course of fillet pork and pork belly was okay, but the asparagus and broccoli went cold shortly after reaching the table and once again the flavour was insipid (apart from the black garlic sauce which was bitter). My wife's main course of hangar steak was an improvement, but not much. I then opted for lemon meringue tart which was really sharp and sour in parts, but the real issue was with the presentation. The scattering of small meringue rolls (tubes?) across the dish left it looking like a pub ash tray - Which did at least make me laugh. My wife's rhubarb dish didn't taste of rhubarb and was mis sold. I didn't complain at the time as I prefer my Sunday lunches to be incident free. However, I won't be rushing back.

3  Thank S K
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

On arrival, we were greeted and taken through to the bar area and our reservation was confirmed. My wife and I had shared a birthday earlier in the week and were at Northcote to celebrate (we had included this as a footnote when making our reservation in addition to a birthday request).
In the bar, we were shown the menus and given a choice of seats, we sat in the window. We only have one criticism of the entire experience, and this was that the curtains in the window seat we chose were ripped in several places which was surprising considering the rest of the restaurant was beautifully presented.

We were given Quinoa and Barley crisps with garlic mayonnaise dip to tide us over until the table was ready. And were happy to find a large range of reasonably priced non-alcoholic drinks for those who drive to the restaurant.

Each of the dishes we chose from the Seasonal menu were fantastically well balanced and delicious. An appropriate amount of time between courses was given and wines were beautifully matched.

We were delighted that almost every member of staff we came into contact with, wished us "Happy Birthday" and that the single rose I had requested was waiting for my wife at the table. Even the mini-Eccles cakes which came with the coffee at the end of our meal had Happy Birthday beautifully written in chocolate on the plate.

I can't express how delightful our entire experience was, a highly recommended restaurant...we will be back.

Dear Jack,

Thank you so much for choosing Northcote to celebrate both your birthdays, we are so pleased that you both enjoyed your time here, we thrive on offering efficient and attentive service and of course a delicious and high class food offering,

We look forward to seeing you next time