“Pleasant stay”

Judges Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirklevington
Reviewed 1 January 2018

My husband and I came here for our anniversary and I had a pleasant stay in our luxurious rooms as the rooms were very nice and satisfactory. The meal was nice, not as delicious as I anticipated but nonetheless nice, and the grounds were stunning. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and hope anyone who chooses to come here does too. Only thing I would watch for is we overheard some people talking about unfriendly kitchen staff (from the dishwasher to the chef) but I do not know the full details so I cannot confirm.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

On behalf of all the team thank you very much for your kind words; please do tell your friends about us. Please accept my apologies for your overhearing some staff chatter at the end of what has been a very busy period; it should not have happened and I shall now be having a quiet word reminding them that any internal gripes should be sorted out behind the bike shed! We look forward to welcoming you back to Judges in the near future. Kindest regards and Happy New Year! Tim Howard GM 2/1/18

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Judges is perfect for a wedding. It was beautiful, especially at Christmas. The rooms are large and airy. The breakfast was lovely, as was the meal served at the wedding, which was in a separate building to the hotel. The staff were friendly and professional. I would certainly recommend it. We live in Rochdale, which is about 1 1/2 hours away, but we would certainly visit again for a weekend break.

Room Tip: Rooms 3 and 16 are good
Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

On behalf of all the team thank you very much for your kind words. Please do tell your friends about us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Judges in the near future. Kindest regards and Happy New Year! Tim Howard GM 2/1/18

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

Lovely country hotel not far from Yarm town centre, within walking distance.
Never stayed over so can't comment on rooms. Beautiful sitting rooms, service was ok but wouldn't go as far as saying it was friendly. Didn't feel particulary welcome.
They serve nice coffee with lovely home made biscuits. Sandwiches are approx £7.50

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very sorry that you were not made to feel particularly welcome during your visit to us. During December we saw several guests pop in for bar meals in the middle of what were very busy restaurant services. Rather than say we were full we catered for these requests as quickly as we could without penalising the guests who had booked to eat in the restaurant. So, if you wouldn't mind, would you let me know please when it was and approximately at what time that you came to see us? I will then be able to work out which of my team may need a quiet word from me. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards and Happy New Year! Tim Howard GM 30/12/17

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Where do I start!!!!
My family and I attended judges for Christmas lunch this year which we were all really looking forward to as I’m sure all other family’s were. The canapes on arrival were really nice. However, the Christmas lunch was atrocious and we all agreed it is the worst Christmas dinner any of us have ever had. It was so poor my husband couldn’t even eat his. We all had the beef dinner and the gravy was so thick it was like chocolate sauce ( my husband swears it was a very well known gravy mix) and it looked almost congieled!!
My 5 year old son had the southern fried turkey bites. He refused to eat them and when I tasted them I can’t blame him. I wouldn’t even have let him eat them as they basically tasted of grease. We’ve been served better at a children’s soft play area.
My husband went to the bar to order a bottle of red wine and came back 20 mins later to tell us the bar tender had to go into the main country house to retrieve the wine, which is a completely separate building, and when he returned he then had to search around for a cork screw, and then struggled to open the bottle. When finally opened he asked if we would like an ice bucket, although if we did they had ran out of them anyway. Now I am no bartender but I do know that red wine does not warrant an ice bucket. We then returned to the bar for another bottle of red wine, and had the same rigmarole as earlier.
The only reason I have given this review 2 stars was for the children’s entertainmant. My son loved the bouncy castle, the magician and Father Christmas. If it wasnt for this then a big fat zero stars would be rated.
We’ve always had a soft spot for judges as we had our wedding reception here 10 years ago which was exceptional. Food, waiting service, and bar service was top notch so to say it has gone way down in our estimations is an understatement.
The whole building needs a refurb, it’s very shabby and tired looking.
Staff definitely need training (bar staff especially) and need to be told when working in a top hotel environment that a certain ‘look’ is to be maintained (i.e clean shaven at the least).
One other thing I found quite irritating was the lack of care with the Christmas garlands that we’re around the walls. The wires from the lights were dangling off them everywhere which just looked scruffy. It was clear that no care had been put into them at all. So sloppy!!!
Come on Judges, this was a complete shambles and was diabolical. You really do need to get your act together. You are certainly charging the price per head so this is completely unacceptable. Our family alone paid over £360 to attend this shambles and we will not be returning. This is a beautiful hotel and setting but has unfortunately been ran into the ground. I have since spoken to others who have said they had very poor experiences at Christmas time in 2015 and 2016 at judges so this year went to smaller local establishments which were exceptional, and a fraction of the price.
Very disappointing

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thank you very much for your review and please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Despite our being full every year and in addition to all the highly positive comments that we have already received regarding the same event that you attended we are always trying to improve what we do.

Even though, in my fifteen years at Judges, this is the first time that I have read some of the points that you have raised feedback is always very helpful to us when we sit down to review our operational procedures.

Please be assured that we have taken your comments on board and I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming back to Judges on a future occasion.

Kind regards,

Tim Howard
GM

Reviewed 23 December 2017

Three of us came for Lunch on 21st December. Gave our orders to the waiter. 50 minutes before food arrived. I had the risotto which was luke warm and had obviously been stood for a few minutes. The other two ordered Lamb. We were shocked at the tiny portions of meat on each plate, and one spoonful of mash and two pieces of Broccoli. They were hungry so devoured the lot in a couple of minutes.
Then waited 30 minutes for a waiter to come and take plates away and take orders for a Sweet. Another 30 minutes wait for said puddings. We gave up on the coffees or we would have been there most of the afternoon.
At the time we had lunch there was only one other table eating at the same time as us, so the staff werent run off there feet. However there was a wedding and most of the staff seemed to be involved with seeing to the guests. (I know because I went in search of a waiter ).
The lunch was a pre christmas treat for the three of us. I can only say to Judges you really let us down- the whole experience was very disappointing. We had looked forward to a special lunch after hearing about how special Judges was supposed to be. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank BrendaNorthYorks
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2017

Thank you very much for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. I only wish that we had been made aware of your disappointment at the time so that we could have then attempted to address the concerns that you have highlighted in your review. I value all feedback and please be assured that I will now be discussing these points with my team. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming back to Judges on a future occasion. Kind regards, Tim Howard GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirklevington
2.9 km away
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham
35.7 km away
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Judges Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!