“Superb food”
Review of Sweeney Hall Hotel

Sweeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oswestry
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Food was excellent, ate lunch and dinner! Steak perfectly cooked, cannot fault in any way whatsoever! Excellent choice of gin and service was superb! Enough said really without boring you! Highly recommend!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Hoppo74
Sean E, Manager at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear Hoppo74,
Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. Your comments are much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

I arrived at Sweeney the day before my wedding as I booked the bridal suit to stay in . I got there at half 6 and they had a party still in the room where I was supposed to get married the day after, I was hoping to sort the room out and start getting things ready before the big day. Got told that the party would finish soon . I took my things into my room and conference room . Discovered the light was flickering on and off which would affect the pictures on the day of wedding, I formatted staff and someone tried to rectify problem but failed. While linen on table wasn’t so white , had coffee stains on it , empty wine glasses and beer glasses on table . 21st plastic confetti on floor , generally dirty . Dead flys in bridal suit in bathroom . No night staff that I could see patrolling hotel. It says room service but when asked if we could have our breakfast brought up to room as we where having hair done (morning of wedding) he said no . So I asked for teas and coffees and when it did come up it was just put on table , staff didn’t even smile. We went for breakfast down stairs and sausages seemed to be warmed up and bacon was like rubber. Hair dressers informed me that toilets down stairs where filthy. I was so on edge the morning of wedding I expressed my concern to florist. While our ceremony was underway I would hear banging from outside from people putting marquee down ( very unprofessional) while having pictures outside there was a hose pipe left on floor “health and safety issue”.

The cocktail that all our guests had after the ceremony tasted like squash , usually cocktails would consist of Pimms, but this was practically orange juice. No gravy with meal just pepper corn sauce “gravy” my son wouldn’t eat it as a little spicy for him. Hog roast came out and instead of asking would we like some kept on the side it was thrown away without me and my groom having any. They had ran out of southern comfort half way through wedding which the groom was drinking .
Morning after everything was put to the side for me to take home .seeming I only had 50 guests in the day and 75 wedding guests for the night , I only had a small slice of wedding cake left and out of 6 boxes of cakes from sidolis I had 2 boxes back that wasn’t even half full. I was informed that they where thrown in bin (what a waste) not everyone had wedding cake.

My father has also got a few pictures of a hoover in the middle of the floor which is a health and safety issue .

There was no special touch in the bridal suit the night of the wedding . No fresh robes placed in room. Robes had been used and not replaced.

As paying for my wedding with the manager of Sweeney (sion) he said how upset he was and annoyed with me he was because I was telling everyone how dirty Sweeney hall was. he also said I wasn’t supposed to be there the night before anyway , that they’d let me leave stuff upstairs though kindness . His whole body language was quite confrontational and threatening. So I wasn’t aloud to leave my things upstairs even though I was staying there the night before wedding and also having my wedding with them the day after . After being confronted I was a little off balance and upset from his comments and this had ruined my wedding. It wasn’t only me that noticed the dirty rooms but friends and family. I wouldn’t recommend having your big day here. Was the worst decision I made, having my wedding at Sweeney hall hotel.

After having my pictures back from photographer I noticed a lot of my pictures “coming down the isle “ and “welcoming people into the room” the manager was standing in the background of the picture. The photographer did an amazing job , and no matter what angle the picture was taken he would of still been in the shot.

I never usually complain about places I stay at but to be treated in this manner by manager and staff has shocked me. And the buzz I should have felt was lost from being confronted the morning after my wedding.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Sean E, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Dear Hannah,
I am really sorry that you felt the need to leave this review.
Your wedding as with the many weddings we hold was very important to the Sweeney.
Our aim is to make everyone feel as comfortable as possible and so enjoy the day.
You did arrive the evening before your wedding to stay in the bridal suite into which you were checked in as soon as you arrived.
On your arrival the Netherton room and our conference room were both in use with other events as you have detailed, baring in mind your wedding was booked for the following day and as with any hotel we were open for business 7 days a week .
The parties one being a 21st birthday which had just vacated the room as you were checking in, to which your were given full complementary use of this room immediately as dressing room,enabling you to get it ready for the early arrival of your hair dresser the following morning. This room had not been serviced by as housekeeping staff so this explains the 21st confetti on the carpet as we allowed you into it before the staff had a chance to clean it the following morning.
The room in which you were holding your reception / ceremony in the following morning was also made available to you as soon as the guests using it on the Sunday had left, and again the day before you had actually booked it.
We put all the tables etc in place that evening and were ready for the event dresser when she arrived the following morning.
I apologise if I was in any of your photos, but we are on hand during the proceedings should you need anything. I have had the pleasure of being a part of many wedding over 25 years at The Sweeney and I have never been accused of photo bombing, for which I am really sorry.
We do not have 24 hour service as we are only a small hotel and should you have needed anything during the night then you onle have to pick up the phone in your room.
Again I would like to thank the hairdresser for her feedback. The loos however are fully cleaned when our housekeeping staff come on in the morning and before we open to non resident guets.
It was not my intention to make you feel at all uncomfortable,quite the opposite I only wanted to give you the opportunity to share your opinion with me as you had been nothing but complementary until this point.
I wish you every happiness in the future. Best wishes Sean

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Have eaten here many times but the last time was a nightmare. Not that busy, but party in private room and only 8 people in main restaurant. Starters brought and my husband ordered the pate - 'pate sir' said waitress and gave him mushrooms!! He had to go and find somebody to correct this. His main course arrived - plaice en papillotte. I thought they had forgotten the fish but he found it beneath a slice of tomato!! tiny!! Complained, but nothing was done. I was given apple sorbet instead of vanilla ice cream. Waited for waitress, but nobody appeared and so we were not offered coffee. Paid bill and left. Contacted Sweeney Hall via their website and they haven't even bothered to reply!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beanlasvegas

Dear Jean,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views on trip advisor.
My sincere apologies again for the mix up with your husbands starter. The plaice dish was a fillet and the size served is suitable as part of the early bird menu from which it was chosen.
I am also very sorry that you didn't recieve the reply I sent to your email, as I responded to this less than an hour after you sent it. I have resent this email to the address you provided and still no response from yourself. I can only presume that the email address you left was incorrect, and if you have the time to send it I would love the opportunity to communicate directly with you.
Best wishes Sean

is a fill

Reviewed 8 November 2017

A beautiful old house hotel and restaurant with a gravel drive and oddles of character.
I passed it during the day and it has a parkland setting with sheep grazing in the fields surrounding the property. I went for a meal at7pm and what a beautifuly lit frontage greets you very impresive. There is plenty of tables on an outside patio area for lunch in the summer days or early warm evening. The inside of the property is just as impressive and beautiful kept. We were shown into the bar area to choose our meals over a drink. Even though it was busy this was done efficiently and as we were before 7.30pm we were able to choose from the early bird menu 2 courses for £15 or 3 courses for £19.00 . I had the Guinea Foul Terrine followed by the Braised Feather Blade of Beef and then the Pumpkin Treacle Tart and ice cream. The food was first class as was the presentation. The wine list and Gin selection was extensive, as there were 6 of us we gave it a good try out. The staff were attentive and the food arrived in a timely fashion with breathing and talking space in-between. Excellent venue and value for money

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. Your comments are much appreciated and will be passed on to all concerned. We hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes Sean

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Visited with friends for a Sunday lunch. Although rather busy we were shown to our table with minimum delay and given menus etc. A very varied menu was available with many choices and between us we sampled most dishes. Although service was a little slow because of staff shortages due to illness the staff were very polite and attentive. The food was delicious with ample portions , and extra vegetables brought to the table and left for us. Would recommend the food and can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for the lovely feeback and your understanding.
We hope to see you here again soon. Best wishes Sean

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswestry
2.8 km away
37.7 km away
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle

Been to Sweeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!