Haughton Grange
  • Restaurant
Haughton Hall(Shifnal)
US$143
US$139
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge(Telford)(Great Value!)
US$66
International Hotel Telford(Telford)(Great Value!)
US$55
  • Bar/Lounge
US$65
PremierInn.com
Anvil Lodge(Shifnal)
No.12 Shifnal(Shifnal)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This B&B/Lodge is one of only a few guesthouses in the area. I often prefer to stay in B&B's as opposed to hotels and motel chains.

I booked my room for 2 nights, and on arriving at the grange was very surprised at the size of the property, and again on being shown to my room was very happy with its size and content.

As with most things after the initial WOW factor of the building, I started to notice cobwebs, for some this isn't an issue, and bearing in mind I was only paying £45 a night I could live with this. My next gripe came about when I realised that there was no way for me to lock my room when I went out. I've stayed in places like this before but try to avoid it. As I unpacked I found pills (not sure what they were for), clothes and empty hairspray canisters in the drawers.

I was beginning to get the feeling that they were either unprepared for my visit or the B&B part of this business (the other part being weekly lodging) was an afterthought.

The ensuite room was very spacious, the bed comfortable and it had everything that you would expect from a B&B. So no real complaints.

The following day, I was asked to move rooms due to a lodger being moved into the room I was staying in. Well as I was only really using the room as a place to lay my head, and solo travelling I agreed. I was shown to the alternate room in another part of the building. I was greeted with an equally nice room, but there was something odd about it. It felt lived in, this was moreso proven when I noticed that the wastepaper bin had make up removal pads in it, the owners jewellery on a dressing table (yes jewellery), and the wardrobes full of womens clothing. I immediately felt uncomfortable about this, and at no point was I told this room was actually someones (probably the owners) bedroom.

As I left the room I noticed that the room next to mine had someone in it, the door was open, with curtains drawn and whoever was in bed was snoring. It all began to feel like a kind of 'my house is your house situation.' Some people like this, when Im paying for a room I do not.
I also noticed that my room was even less secure than the first room in that it was hanging off the hinges. Why would anyone suggest me staying in that room, madness.

Later that day I was effectively saved from staying for another night due to a problem at home, and had to travel back that day.

If the rooms weren't as nice as they were (with exception to the cobwebs), I would have given this a terrible rating as it really deserves it.
Many who read this will probably feel that these comments don't warrent a low rating and perhaps feel that they would like to stay here, my advice to you is avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo