“A menu that zings with flavour”

The High Pavement Evening Cafe
Ranked #2 of 109 Restaurants in Frome
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2018

Small, friendly restaurant. On a dark, rainy night the menu sang of the summer, lots of interesting and different dishes. Some ingredients were totally new to me. I loved that! The tapas selection included the most amazing smoked tuna I have ever tasted. Accompanied by a glass of bone dry, delicious sherry, it was a wonderful experience and that was just the starter. Each course was delicious, we shared the puddings as we didnt want to miss out on any! Excellent wine list.

1  Thank deliab242

Reviewed 19 February 2018

This place is a real treat. A this restaurant is only open each Friday and Saturday, my husband and I were lucky enough to bag a booking on Saturday night, part of our 2-night stay in Frome.

Just a great experience, the staff were welcoming and helpful - knowledgeable and open regarding the menu and recommendations in terms of dishes and drinks to accompany.

We chose the tapas to start, followed by the lamb, pork belly dishes finishing off with the santiago tart. Our full compliments to the chef - we can honestly say each and every mouthful was full of flavour, well thought out and delicious!!

Thank you - a visit to your restaurant really topped our short stay in Frome!

2  Thank L1s8
Reviewed 14 February 2018

I was looking for somewhere a bit different for a special meal. I have been in the restaurant business myself for many years and am always on the look out for little gems that are often tucked away. The reviews seemed very encouraging and I booked accordingly. The meal was a disappointment. Nothing actually wrong with it, just average. I think its supposed to be quirky but its really not all that. Sorry.

2  Thank suelydia
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

This place is a rare treat and I can see why it's No. 1 in Frome. We had two delicious vegetarian meals. We understand the chef was trained at Moro but I'd actually rate the food as better than Moro.

Only open Fridays and Saturdays and generally needs to be booked at least two weeks in advance.

1  Thank happyhenry
Reviewed 28 January 2018

I have eaten at this cafe twice, and both times have come home smelling like a stale deep fat fryer! Everything I wore, coat, special top, woollen trousers and even underwear and socks, had to be washed, which is rather annoying. My daughter has been there a couple of times, too, and each time, I know exactly where she's been by the smell!
The food is very nice, and the ambience is pleasant, but I won't be going there again if I can avoid it!

1  Thank sensitive2018
Aimeesnell, Owner at The High Pavement Evening Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and ambience at our restaurant - that’s always lovely to hear.

In response to other points made in your review we would like to assure you that the smells which you noticed are certainly not from a stale deep fat fryer.  We are a small, family run business in a listed building and unlike a big commercial kitchen, we do not have large extractor fans and air conditioning.  While we do fry one or two of the small tapas dishes, we use fresh oil daily.  There are of course, smells from cooking which escape our kitchen - most comments about this are positive with exclamations of how wonderful the food smells.

We put a lot of care and love into everything we do and most of our customers return time after time for good food in a friendly atmosphere.

We are always sorry to hear that a customer is not fully happy with their experience.