“Great pub , nice food , great staff”

The Unicorn Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

Lovely meal only spoiled by noisy locals screaming at each other, making it difficult to hear ourselves - much improved though from several years ago

Reviewed 20 June 2015

I've marked this for our food experience.
This pub used to be our favourite a few years ago but then it changed hands numerous times and after several poor experiences, we just gave up and found somewhere else.
We've visited a couple times in last few weeks and there's signs of progress.
My review is based on my experience BUT I really do want this place to work and be successful again as its a nice pub.
The service has been very good in our latest visits, the beer (Pedigree or Bass) has been 'spot on' and the white wines been nice and well chilled too.
Add to that the décor being facelifted abit, we're half way there.
Now to the downside, we tried food for first time and the experience was not a good one.
I simply couldn't eat my 'cheeseburger' meal. It was made with 'cheap' burgers', the bottom of the bap was overheated and bone dry/hard.
On talking to chef I was offered another meal and I chose the fishfinger sandwich which was better but not great. Add to this the tartare sauce in the sachets provided were not too good either, I had to satisfy myself via the very nicely cooked chips and the side salad provided.
My wife had a very nice looking lasagne and although she ate it, she admitted it was extremely salty. She doe'snt like 'fuss'...
Credit to the waitress serving us as she bore the brunt of my disappointment.
So I guess if the landlord is looking at this, then I hope he ups the game re the food quality as if he can get this to a good level, then I'm game for trying again.
As it stands, we will be back for drinks but I'll give the food amiss until such time as I see the quality is better.

1  Thank chelsea098
Reviewed 10 June 2015 via mobile

Very impressed. I was a lone diner from out of town but felt quite at home thanks to staff and locals. Food was great. Beer was greater. Steak slightly over cooked but couldn't grumble at the portions. Recommended to all. Will visit again if near. Cheers guys.

Reviewed 10 June 2015

On arrival we had a few drinks, which was nice. We also had a meal which was good, although we were told that everything was freshly cooked including the chips which is why the meal would take longer to arrive, however, we see a frozen extra crispy chip wrapper in top of the open bins on the way to our room. The room was small. the bathroom was not clean, the bed was a very small double. The room was boiling and we were unable to turn the heating down, which meant that we had to open the window, by 4am the room was then freezing. Every time one of the toilets in the other rooms was flushed it sent a loud noise around all the rooms which woke us up about 3 times. The lady at breakfast was miserable and her personal hygiene was lacking. We had already paid for two English breakfast, when they arrived there was hairs in the breakfasts. I was not offered a replacement breakfast when I pointed out the hairs, instead I was given two pieces of toast. So after a bad nights sleep and a very poor breakfast I left very unsatisfied. I would not re-visit or recommend this B&B to anyone.

Reviewed 1 June 2015

As soon as we walked in to the Unicorn Inn we were greeted by the big smiles of Glenn & Lynne, the new owners of the Unicorn. These two have recently taken over the place. For the 3 days we stayed there in April, they made sure everything was great and that we were comfortable. Nice location. Delicious food. Wide variety of drinks One night we stayed up with them, just sitting at the bar with a few extra pints past closing time - a thoroughly enjoyable experience! Would highly recommend staying/drinking/socializing here! Thanks Glenn & Lynne!