“Couldn't do enough to please ”

The Unicorn Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

My partner and I are staying up the road in a different hotel but I wish we had booked to stay here. We only popped in to
The Unicorn for a bite to eat and a couple of beers but the new owner (moved in 6 weeks ago) couldn't do enough to please us. He was only meant to be serving Sunday dinner but obviously noticed that wasn't to our liking so he asked the chef what else she could 'throw' together.
I have never tasted such I nice creamy garlic saucy! Yes, I spent the night scaring the locals away but it was well worth it! And much better then the 4 star astablishment we are staying in.
There was a great selection of beer and gin which was the purpose of our visit obviously- all served to us with a friendly smile.
Lovely place :)

Reviewed 9 January 2016

Took my sister here for a bite to eat. Ordered the homemade pies with chips and peas. Heard the pinging of a microwave whilst waiting for our food and was hoping that our homemade pie was not in it. Unfortunately when it came to the table, that is exactly where our pies had been, the pastry was soggy in parts and like concrete round the edge, the meat was black and hard round the edges too. Chips were nice , peas ok. I called the barmaid over who was very pleasant and she took my meal to get a replacement. She asked if I wanted the same but I declined and asked for the ham, egg and chips only to be told there was no ham and was offered gammon instead, I declined as I don't like gammon so asked for sausage,egg and chips. By the time my meal arrived my sister had almost finished hers and it really wasn't worth the wait. Chips fine, eggs fine but oh dear the sausage looked like tesco value sausage, had been deep fried so very soggy, absolutely not worth the £9+ that it cost. Would not eat here again but the staff are so nice and friendly that I will carry on drinking here.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Good home cooked food and great beer. All t reasonable prices. Eight people, lot's of beer and wine. Lots of f0od. £120 including tip!

Reviewed 3 September 2015

We were staying for 2 nights for a wedding, warm welcome,clean room & fair breakfast.
The pre wedding group enjoyed a good half hour of drinks prior to the ceremony.
The proximity to the road did lead to some noise with early morning commuter traffic, but overall a fair stay.

Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

Lovely meal only spoiled by noisy locals screaming at each other, making it difficult to hear ourselves - much improved though from several years ago