“Staff night out ”

The Funky Bear Tamworth
Ranked #105 of 171 Restaurants in Tamworth
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We picked this place to go on a Wednesday night with our staff as we heard its a new place .i think it was open a week before .i have to say the decor was very lovely and welcoming .lady called Kirsty looked after us and took our drinks .i have to say she was lovely !she said goodbye to us when she was leaving !as we preordered our foods everything was kind of in our order but I have to say the serving could have been a bit quicker but I again the place felt so busy for a Wednesday night !It was a nice place to go to for a mid week night !The whole atmosphere was very welcoming !!we probably pop back there again and we wish good luck to the new owners
!!!thank you guys

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Very nice decor, attentive and friendly staff, service ok but a little slow. However food lacked the wow factor expected at the prices, just ok and a bit bland. Nothing so bad you would complain but equally nothing to rave about. There are much better places to eat at this price range.

1  Thank Fazz999
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Can't get to grips with the bad reviews ?
Great service and food no problem. Maybe teething problems as they are new management I think .

1  Thank Rod M
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

****If you like a wait on food, rude incompetent staff, including managers and owners then this is definitely the place to go****
Here’s a little insight......

We visited on Friday 23rd of March as a group of 5 celebrating a friends birthday.
We had booked the table a week before for 8.15- when booking it said we require the table back at 10.45.
With it being the first hard evening of service to the general public we were expecting a few “teething problem” but what we received was just completely unacceptable from start to finish, minus a good tasting starter.
When we arrived we were stood for 5 minutes at the waiting desk before somebody came to see us. We were told by George- one of the owners that our table wasn’t ready, the people before us were just getting their desserts. We were told to grab a drink at the bar and he will call us shortly when the table was ready.
Half hour went by and as the manager walked past I asked for a menu so we could atleast decide what we were having whilst waiting (conscious of the time we had to leave the table) to which he replied “ have you booked a table?” From here on it just got worse!! 9.10 we were finally seated.

Initially our waitress was friendly and seemed like nothing was too much trouble. We had a laugh and joke about how busy it was and how they were rushed off their feet but appeared to be coping well.
So.... we came to order our food, at this point we were told their was no LAMB hanging kebabs. Not a problem as I said it was the first night so was expecting a few things to not be on the menu.
The waitress disappeared to put our orders through. Our starters arrived after not too long of a wait, a scotch egg and 2 slate platters. We were part way through when our waitress came back over to say that they hadn’t any longer got the slate platters (even though she could see we were eating them) and that they didn’t have any hanging kebabs atall now. 3 of us had to re-order.
The only good thing about this whole experience was the starters. Which we were then fully expecting everything else to follow suit!! But my god little did we know we were to be extremely disappointed!!!
45 minutes went by after we had finished our starters, plates hadn’t been cleared away and nobody was around to take drinks orders. We asked 2 different waitresses if she could check to see where our main courses were, they both said “ I’ll go check” to which neither or them returned! We then had another waitress come over to ask how our food was?!?! Clearly seeing we hadn’t been given it!
We asked her if she could check, another one that didn’t return.
Eventually I managed to get hold of one of the duty managers after an hour and 10 minutes of waiting to which she told us it was on the pass waiting to come out. Another 10 minutes later the food eventually came out!! Two of us had ordered the trio of lamb, one of us pink and the other well done. The waitress specifically asked us when ordering how we would like it cooked. The waitress couldn’t tell us which one was which so we asked her to take it back so we could have what we ordered. The other 3 meals came out, 2 of which were cold. We again waited another 5/10 for the lamb to come back out, when they eventually did they were both over cooked and incredibly dry! It was 11.15(noting the 10.45 return time on the table)and we were all past the point of wanting to eat anything let alone anything that was dry, cold and tasteless!!!
We asked to speak to the manager again, not once did anybody offer an apology! She came over and barely listened to what we had to say, offering a free round of drinks, we declined, she then offered a 50% discount still with no apology.
We wasn’t happy with this seeing as we were unable to eat the food so to even pay half of the price wasn’t good enough.
We asked to speak to the owner, George came over and said “so come on then what’s up, let me sit down I’ve been rushed off my feet” whilst picking food out of his teeth! It was nice to know that he had the time to sit down and enjoy something to eat whilst we had been waiting over an our for hours, aswell as numerous tables around us,also able to update the company social media of a “bursting at the seams evening”
He gave excuse after excuse and quite frankly didn’t give a damn about our bad experience, telling us how his other 3 restaurants are very successful. Also that 90% of people were having a lovely evening that night and it was only 10% that weren’t! I’d like to say it was more likely to be the other way round.

We offered to pay for our round of drinks and our starters which I thought was more than fair as these we couldn’t fault and given the service we received was more than generous.
We swiftly paid the the waitress and made our way out. As we got out of the door the manager came running after us shouting “wait, have you paid??”

Never have we ever experienced such bad all round customer service!! There was bound to be “teething problems” as all of the staff were new, new menus etc etc but considering how successful their “other 3” businesses are meant to be you would of thought they would of known how to deal with this more professionally!

Perhaps if management/owners spent the time tweeking these mishaps and apologising rather than spending the time bigging up the restaurant on social media making it out to be something it so clearly isn’t and never will be they would have a “fourth successful restaurant”

8  Thank Kayleigh R
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Came here on the 27th March for a birthday meal with 7 others.

Nice looking place

Drinks finally arrived after 40 min wait, we had to chase up to be told they didn’t have certain drinks in stock. How long would we have waited for drinks if we didn’t chase?

Starters, arrived within about 30-40 mins so not to long.

Everyone of us seemed to enjoy.

Mains, after waiting 1 hour and 10 mins we chased up to be told there on the way, 7 came out then were told they didn’t know where the 8th was. 5 mins later it turned up.

I had the grizzly bear burger as did 1 other, I was really impressed with this and so was my friend.

His girlfriend had the chilli dog which looked vile and she couldn’t eat it. The others seemed to enjoy there’s.

No puddings ordered as we couldn’t wait around for them.

Asked for the bill which unsurprisingly came over straight away. We refused to pay for the chilli dog and they offered to take the 5 sides off the bill as an apology for the wait we occurred. Fair enough, but then we notice the drinks had been charged more than on the menu on our table which we were told it shouldn’t of been on the table as it’s the new masons menu.

So after a while of faffing around bill paid.

Numerous complaints heard on the night. A few people walked out, even heard 1 guy come outside and say he’s never received service as shocking and will not be spoken to the way he was. Told me and a friend to go elsewhere but we’d already eaten.

I had really high hopes for this place and I think once they find their feet this place will be amazing.l had a laugh with our waitress who seemed really keen to please people the only bad point being the waiting round and hearing all the complaints.

I will return in the future and hopefully be able to turn this 3 star review into a 5 star. Get the basics right and this will become a good place.

Certain staff (young blonde mouthy waitress) probably needs more training or the boot!

I’ve never been so impressed/disappointed at the same time.

Come on funky bear Tamworth. Get this place flying!!

1  Thank mattgiz