“Never again”

Happy Dolphin
Get food delivered
Ranked #361 of 492 Restaurants in Croydon
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Description: Happy Dolphin is a traditional family run Fish&Chip shop located in Croydon. We serve fresh filleted fish and crispy chips daily to our hungry customers. Whilst having the classic options such as Cod and Haddock; Rock, Plaice and Skate are also in our extensive menu. If your not craving our delicious Fish why not try one of our top sourced burgers or fried chicken. If you are not in a rush you can also dine in our 14 cover restaurant section, where your food will be served sizzling hot to your table. We look forward to seeing you soon at The Happy Dolphin.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Chips is rubbish gone straight in bin.Fish small and very salty.Oil not been changed for ages and give horrible taste.You lost regular clients tonight guys.Last time we use Happy Dolphin

Date of visit: February 2021
Cenk_HappyDolphin, General Manager at Happy Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your review, just to inform you about your incorrect statements I would like to share with you and others some information that you might want to know. We filter our oil every single morning and change it three times a week one of the days as you could guess is the busiest day of the week, Friday, the day that you ordered. We use the highest quality potatoes and we cut our chips freshly every morning, and serve huge amounts of portions on a day to day basis with no complaints. Furthermore we control the salt content in our recipe with pre determined measurements, however I’d like to remind you of a few concepts called human error, understanding and helpful feedback. We are sorry that we lost your custom and wish you the greatest of success of finding your perfect fish and chips.

Write a reviewReviews (6)

Reviewed 29 August 2020 via mobile

Reliably good fish and chips.

Chips and crispy and dry (no soggy chips here!)

Friendly team and brilliant food. Exactly what you would expect but really well done. These guys are good at what they do. Short of being by the sea this is a reliable and tasty fish and chip option. Don’t bother with delivery, go yourself and carry out for the freshest tastiest meal.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 9 May 2020 via mobile

Absolutely horrendous service. Ordered a takeaway went and collected it got home and apparently cod and fish is 90% batter 10% fish. Called up to see if there was anything they could do and the excuse was “it’s what the supplier gave me”. If I am paying for a large fish and chips and your supplier gives you something that doesn’t not quantify large surely they need to add additional to quantify the price rather than make up excuses. Will not be ordering from here again. Disgraceful customer service

Date of visit: May 2020
Cenk_Narin, Owner at Happy Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2020

Thank your for the review, I would like to say I can’t control the size of the fish we receive from the supplier. Also our cod comes in standard sizes where you can only get two fillets from one fish. This is the first time we have had a size issue with one of our customers. Furthermore whilst explaining the issue on the phone, I received an aggressive manor and the person on the other side hang up on us before we could rectify the situation. As a note there is no need to get aggressive and emotional about the size of a fish, next time when you try somewhere else let the person explain why it could have happened and how they could rectify the issue. I hope that you find a bigger fish out there, and by the way on the picture you have submitted it looks 90% fish 10% batter.

Reviewed 24 April 2020

Went to place a order for fish and chips on uber eats cost 11.25gbp my partner was looking at there own website to see what he wanted and noticed that is 8.25gbp for the large cod and chips. That a rip off I understand uber take a fee and delivery was 3.50gbp but that a lot extra I'm not sure if it because of the lock down but should be shame of the price

Date of visit: April 2020
Reviewed 26 January 2020

Fish and chips is one of those great British institutions that has survived into the 21st century.
I am of an age to remember the time when the chip shop was one of the few 'fast food' options available. Walking home on a cold night, a bag of chips - which cost me a whole sixpence (two and a half new pence) open in one hand, its contents liberally salted and doused in vinegar, was considered a great treat.
And yes, I do think they tasted better wrapped in newspaper!
So when my wife and I decided recently that a fish and chip supper would be a good idea, we had our first experience of the Happy Dolphin.

The staff were welcoming and friendly, took our order and then we had a brief wait while our choice of fish - and even the chips - were cooked fresh.
The Dolphin offers a surprisingly large selection of offerings. As well as the regular types of fish, the menu lists calamari, scampi and breaded white bait. The burger selection includes a vegetarian option, and chicken is also available.

When ready, our meals were placed in cardboard takeaway boxes and then wrapped in paper.
Make sure you are hungry when you go there as the portions are generous - two large pieces of haddock, and a portion of chips we struggled to finish.
The food is beautifully cooked, the batter and the chips dry and crispy. Utterly delicious, and I have no hesitation in calling it food of the gods!
Or should that be food of the cods?

Date of visit: January 2020
cenkn2014, Owner at Happy Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2020

Thank your very much for your review, we love to see that you have enjoyed your meal and hope to see you again soon.

Thanks from the Happy Dolphin Team.