“Not bad, certainly better than it was.”

The Crown - Ember Inns
Ranked #188 of 536 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The food is probably better than on our last visit which was, from memory, around 5 years ago . At last they have ditched the awful wooden boards. My burger was quite good, certainly better than last time and the sweet potato fries were very good. My wife and friends all said their food was ok, but nobody enthused about anyrhing.
Unfortunately it seems that cleaning glasses properly is an issue, but the service was ok.

General Manager A, Manager at The Crown - Ember Inns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We take all the feedback and comments on board and continue to improve.

Jess GM

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Have passed this place literally hundreds of times. As it was 6:30 on a weekday we decided to stop off and have a meal.
Although the Car Park was pretty full, the pub itself had plenty of spare tables to choose from (ie it wasn't deserted).
We started out with 2 glasses of Peroni beer which went down well.
For starters my wife had the Parsley Breaded Mushrooms, and I had the Crispy Calamari dusted with chorizo & red pepper flavour seasoning. Both were very nice.
For main course my wife had the Scampi & Chips. She felt that the Scampi was 'average'.
I had the Mixed Grill. Oh my there was a lot of it! Rump steak, chargrilled chicken breast, gammon steak, two British pork sausages and two fried eggs. The sausages were delicious, as was the gammon steak. I think if I had to nominate a 'weakest' portion, it was the chicken. But by then I was pretty full!
Food bill came to a few pennies over £40.
As I was driving I then had a diet Pepsi (they don't do Coke), whilst my wife had a second beer.
Plenty on the menu to go back time and time again and experiment with.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback and take all comments on board.

We will hopefully see you again soon.

Jess GM

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Been for lunch and ordered starter and main. I was waiting about 25 minutes for the soup to arrive which probably was ready. After another 30 minutes I had to go to the bar and ask a member of a staff about the main course. Probably they just forget about us, no apologies at all. Very disappointed. I do not recommend this place if you want to eat.

1  Thank Vlad C
Reviewed 11 February 2018

Atmosphere wasn't great when we went in as the tail-end of a funeral wake was still in there. Food was fine, but nothing memorable.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

I regularly visit this pub, it has a lovely team behind the bar and the manager Jess is always friendly and attentive. There is entertainment nights such as live bands and DJs, which me and my friends always enjoy, it is not hard to see why the pub has so many regulars and is always busy! Great job!