“Extremely poor”

The California
Ranked #130 of 164 Restaurants in Sutton
Cuisines: British, Pub
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Service is shockingly slow even though it wasn’t busy at all. It was a Saturday lunch time, you know the kind of time of day people go out for lunch. The place didn’t seem geared up to serve lunch at lunchtime. The main courses took half an hour to come and the food was average. We ordered desserts and I had to remind them half an hour later that we hadn’t had them. It took another 10 mins for them to arrive. To and insult to injury the waitress had the cheek to ask if everything was ok at the end? To which I replied “not really. The service was very slow”. She replied “well if you could fill in this feedback form for me please if you like” whilst stuffing a leaflet in my hand which had a link to their website. I went online that evening and have them a scathing review saying I would not eat there again and I wouldn’t recommend it. The following morning I got an automated email response offering me 20% off my next visit. But hang on, I told them I wouldn’t be patronising their establishment again so what is the point of sending a discount voucher? As useful as a chocolate teapot. This place is best avoided. You have been warned.

General Manager A, Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

We regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around. We would like to have a better understanding about your experience. Please reach out to us at 020 8642 9799 at your earliest convenience and we will do our best to resolve this with you.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

This place is still microwaving the jackets! They taste rank! Ordered the penne pasta to start with and they had no pasta at 1pm, if you can’t have pasta available on the menu don’t bother putting it on there! Every time I go here , 4 times in total, my first choice on the menu hasn’t been available!!! Last time I went the staff had a full on row and the woman stormed out shouting “I’m done”..... anyway back to the poor lot prepared jacket! You only need to look at the picture to see how many beans the chef thinks is acceptable for a jacket! I mean what preparation did this take. A 40p jacket thrown in a microwave for 5 mins, throw on some plastic rubber tasting cheesy and give them 25 beans, and don’t ask for any dressing there isn’t any available. Only what’s dripped on it! Fed up of giving this place a chance. Shame it’s local as well. Might add that my husbands chips were over cooked too! GET A NEW CHEF

General Manager A, Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi Mrsa82, we can assure you that we do not find this type of behavior acceptable, and we would like to address the situation you have described. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. We hope you will consider us again in the future. Take care.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Visited on a Saturday night, early dinner time. Very quiet. First time back since refurbishment. No complaints really. Food nice. Averagely priced. Possibly couldve been bigger portions. Had chocolate bombe for dessert. Nice but at £7 probably over priced. Service fine. Would I eat there again ? Yes

General Manager A, Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hi Phantomhammer, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you; we are more than happy to help!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Arrived after lunch on a Thursday afternoon, ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio carpark fee deducted off bill straight away.
Sat on a table by a radiator as those by the open fire already taken.
Starters prawn cocktail & crispy calamari - nice.
Mains 8oz steak - none available so 10oz instead, & half roast chicken not enough Korean bbq sauce though.
Generous portions - only downside they do not offer water when having meals but can be asked for.
Seating outside for summer drinking/dining.
Besides not getting their stock under control this place never fails.

General Manager A, Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we did. We hope you have a great day! Falling short of meeting your expectations is not to the standards we strive to achieve, and we humbly ask for the opportunity to make this right. Thank you providing this information so we can improve upon our services. We hope to hear from you soon.
The California

Reviewed 23 February 2018

They dont know how to cook eggs in this place.How hard is it to serve 2 presentable edible eggs ? Well on my 3rd attempt ( after asking them to bring me edible eggs, for the 3rd time) i just couldn't take it any more !!! I had to ask for my money back.As when i said to the waitress how hard is it to cook eggs ? she replied sorry but the chief is an apprentice, so its not hes fault..............The mind boggles , never again will i go in this pub, pathetic staff, with bad customer service.

David M, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around. It is discouraging to learn of your experience with us. Your feedback helps us improve and we would like to learn more about how we can make this better.