Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Very Good 4/5
All reviewssteam roomfour poster beddriving rangesunday lunchgreat nightthe ground floorevening mealcouldn't faulttea and coffeeone night stayfull englishtreatmentfitchfacilitiescarterorangerywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed in this hotel since everything else in the area was fully booked. My stay was ok but the hotel itself is getting a bit old so it's average at best. The rooms, even though a bit old-fashioned, were ok. Bed was good. Average breakfast. On-site restaurant is ok.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Craig C, Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good afternoon

As you would have seen during your stay signs etc up around the hotel explaining we are currently undergoing a refurbishment, which will update the hotel.
Upon your next visit you will see the changes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed for a few nights for a family wedding the room was comfortable and well cleaned each day staff was all friendly breakfast was good HOWEVER be warned the hotel is going through a referb and we were told work was between 9 and 4 we were woken on the last morning at 8 by builders that sounded like they were knocking through our ceiling. staff were very apologetic but not a good end to our stay. I'm sure we would have enjoyed our stay more had building work not been happening

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
note123, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Scrum down
My apologies for our exuberant builders, they certainly seem to work on a different time scale to the rest of us
The only positive is that in just a few more weeks our Hotel is going to look fabulous and I truly hope that you will allow us the opportunity
to show you how fabulous we will look
Should you be visiting the area gain please do contact me personally

GM

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I recently visited for 3 nights whilst I was away with work, I picked this hotel on booking.com as it looked very modern and had a luxury feel too it. This was the complete opposite when I arrived.. as I walked to my room there was a sign on the door saying “sorry we don’t look our best right now we’re having a facelift” customers should be informed over this before booking. I was so shocked when I walked into my room as saw how dated it was. I sent my friends the pictures when I booked it and they was shocked with what I actually walked into.
The room was very very dated, chains were on the door, the furniture and curtains looked like they’d been up since the early 2000’s. I went and complained at reception, the guy was very helpful and agreed to move me for my second night. My new room was more modern but you could still tell it wasn’t a complete refurbed room. I really don’t get why they have chains on the doors.. it’s 2018 guys. Instead of a king size bed it was two single beds pushed together which was a little uncomfortable. Although I was happier with the room, it just was nothing that I expected it to be if I had of known it was like this I wouldn’t of booked this hotel. If you aren’t bothered about dated rooms then you’ll be fine.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback.
We are currently undergoing a refurbishment on some of our rooms as well as adding more rooms to the hotel.
We agree so of our rooms are slightly dated but as you can understand we can’t close the full hotel to do full refurb.
Our king beds are zip and links which a lot of hotels use as they can be changed to twins if needs be however they are normally comfortable which I need to look into.
As for chains on doors yes they are obsolete however some lone travelers find it comforting as an extra level of security for them.
We apologise for not meeting the standards expected as we do strive to be the best.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed one night for a business trip. The hotel is adding more rooms and upgrading existing. My room was pleasant and fresh. The shower was over the bath which I’m not keen on but it worked. We ate in Carter & Fitch the hotel restaurant. Food was different and very good, value for money. The breakfast was also very good. Had a very good nights sleep which is unusual for me, so that means it was a comfortable bed and good room temperature. Overall good value for money and would stay again when in the area.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Wendy C

Dear Wendy

Thank you for your comments, really pleased that you had a great nights sleep, our beds are lovely!
We take great pride in Carter & Fitch and I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food

We hope to see you again soon

GM

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Staff were friendly and welcoming but we had real issues with the room.
Firstly our booking clearly stated King Size bed but it was a standard 4’ 6”. The room is on the ground floor, in a bizarre internal location with corridors on each side. There is a fake “window” onto one of the corridors with frosted glass and rather dingy looking net curtains for privacy but there might as well not be a window at all as the room is so dark you need the lights on so need to draw the curtains or feel like you’re in a fish tank, despite the frosted glass. Ironically the curtains don’t block the light coming in from the corridor so had to sleep with pillows over our heads as it was like trying to sleep with a bright streetlamp outside.
The room was very stuffy, there is a ventilation fan of sorts but it was very noisy and so weak that we couldn’t tell if it was blowing air in or out of the room.
Worst of all was the noise. There are fire doors on the corridors surrounding the room which closed with a loud “bang!” in use almost constantly till about 1.30 on the morning and again from about 5.30 so we had very little sleep, not good considering we’d had a 5 hour drive to get there and had the return journey the next day. I woke up in panic at one point thinking there was someone in the room but it was just voices in the corridor outside the “window”.
I don’t think this room is suitable as guest accommodation. It’s almost as though someone saw a bit of extra space and thought “know what? We could squeeze an extra room in there”. Maybe when the refurbishments are finished they can convert it into a storeroom or something as that’s all it’s suitable for. I hope the rest of the hotel is better but based on this experience I can’t in good faith recommend it. As an Accor Club member I feel this room was Travelodge standard at Mercure prices.

Room Tip: Avoid Ground Floor Rooms
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Craig C, Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Good afternoon

Look into your comments. We do strive to give 100%.