“Better than I expected”

Ranked #11 of 11 things to do in Washington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am a member of ‘Everyone Active’ elsewhere, and was just visiting. Having read some of the reviews though I wondered what I was letting myself in for. However, I have to say, that the place was clean, the staff were friendly, and the gym well equipped. If in the area again, I won’t have to think twice about coming back.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I was a member for quite a few years and looked forward to. The move to the new premises , but left as I felt it's not run at all well
There is no control at the entrance and people just walk in and use the facilities mainly gym and classes with no validation as to weather they are a member or entitled to use the facilities and I have seen this on several occasions were people just wander in
The gym is not kept as clean as it should be and if you need assistance sometimes it was impossible to get
Too many kids that hog one single piece of equipment and the staff don't enforce there on rules
The spin room is abused and required staff to reset, start, adjust the systems on a regular basis
The changing rooms are not cleaned often enough and are small and basic
I can on
I write this as I have moved on to another large gym and it's chalk and cheese, the gym was a lot greener on the other side and I'm so glad I left
And forget parking if you arrive at a busy time, your faced with parking at Asda and walking round in what ever the weather

Reviewed 19 February 2018

The staff I have found are very helpful however the facilities are very poorly set out.
Having to squeeze passed people who are watching their children having lessons while you are either trying to put you clothes in the lockers or get them out.
Generally it seems no thought has been given to how everything should work. People who are trying to shower with no privacy while people are standing watching their kids.
A few shower cubicles are available but usually busy.
The pools seem to have lessons on at all times and the main pool is always laned off.
On a recent visit I phoned up first to check their were no changes with the kids being on holiday and was told no but when I got there the slides were closed and was told it was because they were open in the morning. I used the old facility for 30 years and they would of been much better off putting the money into the old building. Parking is pathetic.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Please, it's about time you employed a cleaning team and didn't leave it to the underpaid pool supervisors to give the place a quick squirt with toilet cleaner when they get a minute.

Showers are disgusting in the gents main changing room and the toilets have never been cleaned (other than before I use it) in what looks like years.

The place is full of good paying members, it just needs a full time cleaning squad.

Get a grip Washington and serve your members and public with pride.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I've visited the leisure centre to swim with my wife and two young daughters today. We usually use Spennymoor, Freemans Quay or Birtley for swimming - all of which are perfectly adequate for an hours swimming with the family. However we tried Washington as we'd heard it was newer, had a slide and a free to use soft play in the reception/cafe area.

Everything started fine as we got parked without an issue. However once we entered the building, it went downhill at every turn.

1. The wait at reception was ridiculously long. Largely down to one member of staff and the stupid 'process' of getting everybody to complete what felt like a mortgage application in order to get a card and access the facilities. The card comes with zero discount and is completely pointless.

2. The staff on reception are totally disengaged and don't have a clue about customer service.

3. The coloured paper bracelets you are given to wear before you swim are fine in theory but an additional pain to have to peel off and put on when you've waited for ages and have a armful of bags and children.

4. Changing rooms are so badly designed. The two doors in each changing room are totally pointless. The bars across the top ensure you can't take your jumper or t-shirt off without crouching or you risk breaking your hand. There are hardly any family changing rooms or baby changing rooms - so expect to wait! The normal changing rooms are tiny. The cleanliness is shocking. The lockers are tiny so you pretty much need one per person. The lockers are orientated to face into the pool with little to no space to get at them.

It gets worse.... and serious.....

5. Someone handed in a razor found in the pool to which the lifeguard didn't bat an eyelid.

6. A 7/8 year old using the softplay opened a Swiss Army knife in front of my eyes. On informing the staff on reception, they told him to "put it in his pocket". Which he did and continued to use the soft play.

I took my kids and left at that point.

Shambles.

The council really need to sort this out as it's such a shame.

One positive - the coffee was really good.

But I recommend you stay away.

1  Thank The_Gapster