“Yummy-est pudding ever”

Ranked #16 of 23 Restaurants in Petworth
Price range: US$13 - US$54
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Our menu bursts with locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. Fish, game and traditional English and Mediterranean dishes. There is always something to excite the appetite A simple but elegant decor includes fabulous open fires, with dining offered in a choice of intimate nooks. In good weather alfresco dining on our pretty terrace or in the sheltered garden is idyllic. Small group bookings are easily accommodated in one of several private dining rooms. A connoisseur's wine list complements the menu, including local sparkling wines. Many are served by the glass to help you discover a favourite! A fine selection of Sussex ales is also available.
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I have to mention the rhubarb and crumble rice pudding I had earlier this year. It was just delicious. For someone who is very over-addicted to a good pudding, it was heaven. I can't even remember the rest of the meal it was so good. Went for and indulgent lunch with a friend, and it was well worth the cost, which I would say was above the normal local.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and saw this quaint Inn while driving in West Sussex and decided to stop for lunch. To our surprise it turned out to be a gourmet pub/Inn and we were in for a real treat in a relaxed, elegant but yet country rustic setting.

My husband had the burger and I had the most divine salmon/crayfish open sandwich. I am originally from Sweden and are not often presented with the choice of an open sandwich (which we and the Danish love so much).

We will definitely be back for more next time we are passing through and would wholeheartedly recommend this gem of a place.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Couldn't fault the food and service. Menu was good, not overlong and offering some interesting dishes, which came up to expectation. There was also a decent interval before our dishes were served, so a good sign that they were freshly cooked. What made us laugh though was the gigantic plates and bowls (even for the puddings!) which made the portions look lost and small (although they weren't). Who still does this? I though this pretentious crockery went out with the 90s... But the food was good, so that's what counts.

1  Thank WestH
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Excellent service and food. I had the guinea fowl and my mother the steak - both were tasty, good portions and I'd say good value. Waiting/bar staff very friendly and helpful. Could not fault it - will try to get back!

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

I ordered the black olive and parmesan gnocchi for £15.50. The plate that came had only 4 pieces of gnocchi on it. It was delicious, but watching my brothers dig into fish and chips, and my family into roast dinners (of which only beef and lamb were available), I felt almost delirious with hunger. The pear and peach crumble was far too sweet. I left the restaurant hungrier than when I'd entered and utterly disappointed. If you're a vegetarian, don't go here, for your own sake.