“Gluten free fish and chips 😀”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Petworth
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The inn has medieval origins and is a few paces from the centre of Petworth. With a relaxed atmosphere throughout, its unspoilt bar features ships beams, wooden and slate floors, stone walls and 3 fireplaces, one of which is used to spit-roast joints of meat. On fine days the walled garden is a peaceful suntrap. With a choice of local real ales served by hand pump or directly from the barrel and an extensive wine list we cater to all tastes. We are serious about our food and ingredients are locally sourced where possible; much of our fish is landed at Littlehampton, the Sussex Downs provide our lamb, along with most of the vegetables that we serve. The seasonal menu is changed four times a year, supplemented by a fortnightly menu with daily chef’s specials to provide a comprehensive choice for the most discerning diner. A warm welcome awaits you.The inn is recognised by The Good Beer Guide, The Good Pub Guide, Cask Marque and Great Country Pubs.
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

We visited this pub for lunch today after spending a couple of hours walking around Petworth house with friends.
As it was a Sunday we did pre book our table, and I would advise this if visiting at the weekends as the place was pretty full.
There were a nice selection of dishes to choose from including a Sunday roast option of roast beef.
3 of us opted for fish and chips, which was offered in both small and large portions. I opted for the large ( I was hungry! )
I was delighted to be able to order this, as I avoid gluten and have never seen gluten free batter on a menu before.
It was absolutely delicious, the batter was crispy and light and the triple cooked chunky chips were delicious. I managed to eat all of it apart from the mushy peas ( not a favourite of mine) and one extremely large chip! I would say the large portion is a good size , not overly huge , just right.
Our friend ordered the burger which looked delicious and was on the generous side, this was served with French fries, personally I think the triple cooked chunky chips were nicer, but I’m sure you could swap them.
Service was efficient and friendly , a jug of complementary tap water was served and topped up without us having to ask.
I am not a beer drinker, but my friend assured me there was a good selection of beers available. The decaffeinated cappuccino was also really full bodied and tasty.
I would definitely go back.

1  Thank Teresa B

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Great pub with friendly bar staff and brilliant beer selection. Lots of locals drinking in there and a real tonic to escape the chi chi 'Hungry Guest' chain that seems to own most of Petworth these days!

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Arrived to no welcome. Sat down was told and was told they are busy and they can't serve us for half an hour. I said that's fine. Then no menus given and had to search for our own. Slow service at the bar. We ordered a snack (chips to tide us over and they were very nice). No deserts on the kids menu and a little over priced. We left before ordering as the service and general reception was so poor. What a shame, I've had better service at McDonalds.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Attractive roadside pub / hotel with reasonable parking across the road. Initially very welcoming and cosy looking, albeit much larger inside than appears from the outside. Good mix of reserved and unreserved tables. Good length of bar so not too crowded even on a Friday evening. First cause of unease, being asked "have we booked a table his evening?". Struck as odd and old-fashioned, not in a good way. On a positive note, the tables had tiny fresh flower/leaf arrangements, drinks were fine and menus arrived promptly. However, allowing that The Angel is in affluent Petworth and prices need to and can reflect local market rates, the food is comparatively expensive. Choices include seasonal dishes as well as pub favourites such as fish and chips. Starters and main courses arrived without delay and with a changing succession of waiting staff. All food was presented attractively and tasted fine but the meals were definitely not value for money. A triumph of style and description over substance. Inferior paper napkins added to a feeling of cost control and a lack of generosity and hospitality. Staff were efficient in a distant sort of way. A side dish of fresh chillies did not arrive and the 'Specials' menu was recited at speed and in ridiculous detail, (except for prices), from a notepad held by the waiting staff.

Relatively busy for a Friday evening but not much atmosphere or buzz. Final disappointing note, apart from substantial bill, was chilly and grubby ladies' lavatories where the floors needed a sweep and clean and the water was cold.

1  Thank alwyn a
Reviewed 7 October 2017

What a great pub rooms spacious on suite & warm Food exceptional .The characters in the pub make for a great night .The staff are exerlant