“Beautiful, cosy pub with exceptional food and service”

The Horse guards inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Tillington
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 December 2016

This is my 4th time visiting the beautiful and quirky Horse Guards Inn. My boyfriend received a voucher for a nights stay and a meal for his birthday which we decided to do yesterday. We arrived on a very chilly late afternoon and were met with roaring fires in every room and a buzzing atmosphere. Once again, all the locally sourced food was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious, a highlight being the spreadable goats chorizo with a pickled pepper. Stunning combo. Our lovely (blonde) waitress provided phenomenal service, as always, and catered to all of our specific needs and many questions with a smile and great sense of humour. The wine list is fantastic and the recommended red went perfectly with the food. As always, we overindulged so it was lovely just to head upstairs to the cosy, quirky bedroom after the meal to pass out! It is without a doubt our favourite pub, and we can't wait to come back as soon as we possibly can.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

We have friends who live in Horley. We live in the New Forest so we chose the Horse Guards as our half-way meeting point.

What a find!. Smashing, rural location, old fashioned charm, cosy English pub. Best of all, as it was nearing Christmas, the pub was decorated in traditional decorations all done with a lovely attention to detail.

The menu was first class, full of local produce. Not cheap but excellent value for money. We had to wait a while for drinks but only because a large order was placed for 'virgin mary's' just before we arrived. When you see the work that goes into each of these you could understand the wait. It was a work of art!!

I chose the parkin for dessert! It was sublime and the best pud I've had in a long while.

We'll definitely be back in the Spring when we'd like to explore the quirky garden...

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

I visited here a few weeks back with my boyfriend for our anniversary meal after hearing many recommendations to try it out. It certainly met our expectations and we loved our visit to the horse guards inn.

Our table was booked at 9pm (on a Friday night) and we turned up at 8.30pm to have a drink at the bar. It was busy and had a chirpy atmosphere. We had a drink at the bar though our table was available soon after.

We had a table in the room at the end which was quieter and very cosy. Our waiter was really attentive and I couldn't fault his service! I was a little worried that turning up later would mean some of the best things on the menu would have gone but we didn't have this problem - there was just one dessert that they had ran out of.

The food was amazing, we shared a starter and my boyfriend had the steak while I had the pigeon. The portions were very good and the meat on both dishes were cooking perfectly. The puddings were also amazing! Their wine menu is also very good.

I really couldn't fault anything about our visit here and we can't wait to come back. The food is very reasonably priced and the service was wonderful. We also had coffee after our puds which came with some lovely fudge (they know how to make good coffee too- coming from a coffee snob)

One thing I would note is that there is no car park so parking is on the road outside the pub.

Reviewed 29 November 2016

I found this inn by chance googling places to eat in the area to treat my mother in law to lunch for her birthday. I'm so pleased I found it! We all three had a superb lunch in a wonderful environment and served by friendly, helpful and accommodating staff. So many lovely things on the menu it was hard to choose!

Reviewed 15 November 2016

i first heard of this pub some 5 years ago in a Sunday Times article and until this last weekend life had conspired to keep me from visiting. On Sunday evening however we booked in for dinner. Having arrived very early the staff looked after our every need including putting us close to a log fire to help us thaw out making sure that we were amply fueled with glasses of their excellent range of wine and local beer.

The ham and black bean soup and pork terrine starters were well presented , served by a competent and friendly server, tasting even better than they looked, The main courses of bouillabaisse and pulled pork on a bed of creamed potato tipped with beetroot were superb. Desserts were not a disappointment either with the apple sponge and cinnamon custard making the meal complete.

Would we go again - yes of course - and soon!