All reviewswater taxipuerto vallartagilligan's islandin townhot waterhotel groundsopen airpiebathroom floormosquito netyacht clubocean viewcafe bahialounge chairsfishbeautiful placefalling asleep
Reviewed 20 March 2018

We just recently returned from our first visit to Yelapa and are already planning on returning. We stayed at Hotel Lagunita the first half of our trip and were pleasantly surprised. Based on other reviews, our expectations were relatively low but we wanted to experience the traditional "palapa on the beach in Yelapa" so we went for it.

Hotel Lagunita exceeded our expectations as a "glamping" type hotel in Yelapa. Our room and the entire hotel was very clean, our linens and towels were changed daily, and the beach was incredibly relaxing. This isn't a five star hotel but it is great for the traveler that wants to get a more low key experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank sandkullafamily
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I've been there twice. The first visit was OK but the second one was disappointing for this price. We had 2 beds but no privacy, no loungers a front of our house. The towels were really old and broken and we had a water on our bathroom floor. But, the restaurant service was perfect! We had some drinks the day we arrived and the breakfast next morning. I'd recommend this place for couples for romantic evening and night but if I'll stop in Yelapa again, I'd like to choose some another place.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank Riina E
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Hi, I been acquiring the habit of review the places I have visit because I think it may help other travelers make a good or a better decision on the place they choose to stay or to visit. Yelapa, JAL is a beautiful private place on the pacific coast of my beloved state Jalisco. The beach is clean and wonderful, in other words, is perfect for romantic couples looking for something out of the ordinary. In fact, is also for people who likes to swim inside the ocean and relax.
Now, i wish I could say the same about the hotel lagunera, but it did not quite impressed me for the price!!! The area is amazing, the installations are beautiful, all the bungalow (how they like to call them) are spread out in the mountain, and their roofs are made out of palm leaves making it look very special. at first you get the feeling that is the perfect place to be, but like i describe, for the price is not a good choice!!! Their describe bungalow is a square that has a poor quality bead with a mosquito net that only covers part of your upper body. Also, the seating area is a table with two chairs. And to complement the “bungalow” a dirty bathroom and shower. Do not get me wrong, i am not a peachy person, I have stay in some other extreme conditions that I won’t get in to details, but is important that we as travelers pay for what we deserve and I feel that $90 USD a night is a little high for this place. In fact, The only thing I really like was their seating area by the beach with hamacas and tables. In addition the service in the restaurant and the food where deliciously complemented by candles and a nice view of the ocean!!!
So, if you are planing to go to Yelapa, i recommended to find a real bungalow with a kitchen and a leaving room, and a viewing area and all services like a real bungalow suppose to have probably for less than Lagunita. I know private owners offer some casitas in town which I bet will have a good ocean view and be more comfortable, but again, the food and the service at hotel Lagunita restaurant is very good, so do not forget to have dinner or lunch by the beach!!! Enjoy Yelapa!!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jose S
Reviewed 16 January 2018

I have been staying at Hotel Lagunita for years. The rooms are very basic but the views are stunning. The beach is very clean and the water is too. I usually stay here one or two nights when I am visiting friends in PV to get out of their hair for a bit and also to enjoy the beach and water. You can hike to an amazing waterfall for a different experience with fresh water and a jungle vibe. The food on the beach is pretty good and the beer is cold.

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank murphyswren
Reviewed 7 January 2018

My family of 13, including an infant and 2 children aged 5 & 7 stayed 5 nights in 6 rooms from Dec. 20 through Dec 25, 2017. We had a good experience at this hotel, which is a series of huts near or on the beach. The water taxi from Puerto Vallarta stops at the La Lagunita pier first, then stops a few minutes away at the town pier. One thing you should know is that La Lagunita hotel is not a close walking distance from the town center, where most of the restaurants are. There are a few good restaurants near the hotel, but some really noteworthy ones are a water taxi ride away in the town. The town center is about a 30 minute walk down a dirt path, not well marked, but easy enough to find because of the foot traffic. You will need to take off your shoes part of the way, to wade through the shallow water. There is a shortcut along the beach, but there you have to wade through waist deep water. So, you either take a water taxi over to the town center to eat and shop, or you arrange at the hotel desk to request an ATV to take 3 or 4 of you at a time, or you plan to walk during the daylight hours (too dark at night). The hotel is very rustic. One of the rooms did not have hot water, but the staff fixed the problem (water heater needed propane) the same day. Lobby desk personnel speak English and are very accommodating. The hotel restaurant is best for breakfast, but dinner was good enough. The little straw huts with hanging hammocks and lounge chairs in front of the hotel are charming, and have bar and food service. The pool is pretty and clean. We had no mosquito problems at all while we were there. The sound of the waves crashing on the beach was a wonderful way to fall asleep. The beds are not the best, but we managed to get enough sleep there. Our best dining experiences in town were at Los Abuelos and Cafe Bahia. Both had fantastic food. Los Abuelos is hard to get into, so go early. It is very very inexpensive. Cafe Bahia is near the town pier where the water taxi drops you, and is a little more expensive, but has a terrific menu. Another place near Los Abuelos is "The Yacht Club" which has a great atmosphere and overlooks the water as does Cafe Bahia, but is a little pricier. The Yacht Club had friendly and quick service. They have a dance night there weekly too, so it is sometimes a noisy place, and the noise can be heard over the water to Hotel la Lagunita. That was not a problem for us, but could be depending on your room location. Noise in general is from the ATVs going up and down the beach, and from the bars, and both stop eventually, so that by 1am it should be completely quiet. The best activity we had was renting mules/horses and being led by guides up a jungle trail to a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole. Our guides were an 8 year old boy and his 12 year old brother, and they handled the gentle animals like pros and were very helpful. The infant in our group did not go along on this one, but the 7 year old easily rode alone, and without a helmet. The 5 year old rode with her mother. We rented the mules and horses near the hotel, and the hotel can help you arrange this. There are some roving vendors on the beach selling wares, mostly jewelry, and their prices are high for the goods they are selling, but their livelihood depends on your generosity, so buy something. There is a pie man who comes by, and his slices of pie are worth the money. The beach is beautiful. The sand is coarse however, and the waves crash pretty hard on the shore, since the beach is bowl shaped, but plenty of people were swimming. The water was not warm nor clear, so I would not rate this a terrific swimming beach. Activities there are limited, since the snorkeling and fishing were not beach based, but required hiring a boat. My group went fishing, but fish were not biting. It was mostly just a boat ride. You can go parasailing or kayaking near the hotel, but that's about it. The mornings are breathtaking, with the sun coming up over the mountains through a misty vapor, making the green jungle which comes down all the way to the beach, glow with light. Really pretty and worth seeing. Some of the rooms are like duplexes, sharing a ceiling with another room. There is privacy but sound can travel from one room to the other. Other rooms are in stand alone huts. Lots of them have 2 beds, but some have one. All of the beds that we had were queen. The hotel grounds and beachfront are kept clean and neat, and the roaming dogs are friendly - mostly. To sum up, Yelapa as a tourist destination is best for up to a 3 night stay.

Room Tip: Just ask to check out what's available and then make a selection
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family