“Quaint, Quirky and Quixotic”

The Hideaway Retreat
Reviewed 1 October 2014

Looking for something a little different than the run of the mill hotel. Try the Hideaway Retreat. Set in the majestic Blue Mountains this hotel offers an opportunity to relax in comfortable and pleasant surroundings with little touches of uniqueness, like their home made sourdough, or the bottles of red left by the fireside table one evening with a sign saying help yourself, or the themed wings with their accompanying art works, or the quotes from famous people written on the edges of the tables, that make your stay just that much more memorable. Of course the you still get to enjoy the magnificent views and stunning scenery which the Blue Mountains provides and these are available a few steps from your room.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms open straight onto the grassed area surrounding the pool, however upstairs rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HouseHopper

Reviewed 29 September 2014

An amazing and original place to spend some times in the Blue Mountains. The staff is friendly and the place is just magical. There are some small art pieces pretty much everywhere, the view is beautiful and you are in the middle of the Blue mountains which are totally amazing. Thank you for this stay guys. I loved it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Don't expect 5 star luxury and you will be rewarded by 5 star service and warmth. Wonderful small and friendly management where nothing is too much bother. Very helpful creating a homely and welcoming atmosphere. Would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank David S
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I would describe my stay at this resort as being of relaxing visit.The hotel staff were all freindly,they made me feel very comfortable.I was welcomed by calming relaxing music when I first entered which gave me a instant feeling of calmness.The hotel itself has great views of the mountains,offers pool access and a 2 hour walk track throughout the mountains..Nearby activities,resturant and shops were easily accessed if needed. The hotel theme is based on positiveness,which you will see positive quotes located throughtout the hotel, which I found to be enlighting.The contenital breakfast was fabulous as the chief uses whole foods instead of processed foods.The rooms were quite comfy,i personally enjoyed the old stlye building setting opposed to the more commercialise type of building.Would defenitley come back in future

Room Tip: Rooms on the the ground floor offer direct accsess to outdoor area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank max c
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Prices in the Blue Mountains are grossly exaggerated. There doesn't seem to be any way around this. although my future plan is: don't go! I was really sorry that the huge amount of money I paid got me such a basic place. Yes, there is some fun quirky artwork, and the sourdough bread for breakfast was excellent. There was a nice gas fire and a welcoming bottle of wine. On the other hand, there was no information in the room about check-out time, breakfast hours, or attractions in the region. The room was totally basic, as was the bathroom, and to my shock and horror there wasn't even an electric blanket on the bed. If there was a phone in the room, we couldn't find it. So - value for money? I don't think so.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Deborah R
HideawayRetreat, Manager at The Hideaway Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I'm just gobsmacked. A review giving us 5 stars for location and cleanliness and 4 for service but smacking us and the mountains in general for being expensive? Rest assured we know how expensive running a business like this is and do everything to provide great value to our guests (which most see clearly). Now after the years we have found running this business we know everything is subjective to the specific person but... come on....

I have been trying to call this guest to discuss the following points but have so far been unable to do so, so in the mean time.

1. I usually try to avoid specifics in pricing discussions in places like this but wanted to point out that although most other properties don't allow it, we allow one night and this guest obtained a rate of $206.80. (A huge amount of money???) At the time we still had one of our newly renovated Premium King Rooms available (priced at $350 for one night – so equivalent of 40% off) so we gave them a free upgrade. I would challenge anyone to find a better price, accommodation or better deal for what was paid anywhere in the mountains or even greater Sydney. Check out the photos of the new rooms online, check out the inclusions and everything else.

2. Aside from all the wonderful features of our home mentioned here and elsewhere the room specifically was far from basic. Brand new Eurotop King bed (when only a double bed was booked originally) 32 inch LED television, Xbox 360 gaming console and DVD player, an Ipad mounted to the wall for personal use, home made soap, latest release movie channels, free wifi, newly carpeted, freshly painted, all woodwork only just completely stripped, resanded and resurfaced, ensuited with shower, and more. A completely brand new room...

3. Free bottle of wine too...

4. Our friendly staff, my wife in this instance, when checking in guests always run through the same information, including breakfast times, which this guest managed to attend and attest to how wonderful our home made sour dough bread is. We don't usually consider checkout times as something we try to force on people as its pretty clear when you book what they are, also written on all booking confirmations, paperwork, emails etc. We always felt it would be a little rude to tell people when they have to get out while they are just walking in.

5. As stated many time previously we intentionally don't keep some form of ratty old compendium in our rooms as we specifically want guests to feel comfortable talking to us and asking questions. There is a phone in every room and on checking yours unfortunately as you say its not there. Although our cleaners assure me it was when the room was cleaned as they place a small card by each phone explaining how to call us. This is another reason I have been trying to get in touch. Also remember our staff are very friendly and anything could have been mentioned on checkin, at breakfast, or on checkout, but nothing was, a popular trend since the invention of online anonymous reviews..

6. Although our rooms do not have a book these premium king rooms do have an ipad on the wall for guest use. The main screen we loaded with icon bookmarks to a wide range of attractions, restaurants, bush walks, etc. you name it its there. To complain about not having a book but not mention the Ipad seems a little deliberate in this instance...
I think its pretty clear exactly how much of a great deal this was, and I cant believe the review to be honest.

In closing I, myself, personally checked out this guest. At 11:30am, an hour and a half after checkout, which we also didn’t charge extra for, just let them be in case they went back to bed for a bit more sleep. I personally and quite specifically asked how their stay was. Lovely, at least in person, and offered to carry their bags to the car, politely declined.

Everything in life is subjective, but some things feel obvious, and the more frequent case of people saying nothing at all in person to go on the attack (of an entire region?) later feels a little like a worrying snapshot of society in general.

We are here to help, if you let us.