“paradise on earth”
Review of Saffire Freycinet

Saffire Freycinet
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coles Bay
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Everything about Saffire is five star+, with the staff being their greatest asset. Arrived around 2pm and were whisked off to lunch, with no need to deal with pesky check in. Our hire car needed work done to it and the staff facilitated this without any bother to us, incredible. Rooms are huge and we had the best night's sleep and when you awake, open the electric blinds and you have the panoramic Hazards right in front of you, like a painting. It is truly breathtaking. This property is unlike anything I've experienced in Australia, but is as good as Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur, California. Food was fantastic and the Chef went out of her way to provide tasty options for my vegetarian husband. Saffire must be experienced at least once in your life.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Twig_10
There are newer reviews for Saffire Freycinet

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here over Christmas and really enjoyed our time here. The rooms are beautiful with every amenity you could possibly require - we really appreciated the free minibar which had a great selection of wines, beers and soft drinks. We also enjoyed the activities arranged by the hotel including the Wineglass Bay Lookout walk and the visit to the Oyster Farm. The food in the restauarant was very nice and a great selction of wines was included in the room rate. The staff were incredible, always extremely helpful and cheerful with it. A truly wonderful place,

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spike_London
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is a beautiful area and Saffire takes it to full advantage. Everything has been very well thought through. The villas each look out to the fantastic view.
At the end of a day outdoors - walking to lovely Wineglass Bay and back around the headland one day, and enjoying a couple of the hotel's activities on the next day - it was great to come back and relax on the deck of our suite. Especially given the very high quality of the wine, spirits and nibbles provided in our kitchen. These supplies introduced us to the products of Hobart's waterfront distillery and some lovely Tasmanian wineries.
Ours was one of the suites that also has a private plunge pool in the courtyard at the front, as another place to relax (which I imagine would be especially welcome on a windy day).
I was writing emails while sitting on the deck and sent a photo of the outlook to a colleague in Brisbane, whose response was "That's awesome - where /is/ that?")
Our suite was extremely spacious and very well laid out with split levels to maximise the outlook and light. The bathroom was large and very light-filled (we love two-person showers). The lounge area on the lower level including a very large sofa arrangement facing the TV and the view, as well as a corner table with arm chairs. Our type of suite also had a full size dining table on the upper level. Having a toilet at the entry area as well as one off the bathroom was a good idea.
Given we were only motivated to spend meal-times in the main building (where reception, the lounge and the dining room are) and the view from the main building sweeps up to the mountains across the bay and to the sea, I can't share an earlier reviewer's unhappiness about the view from the main building including the villas running that below it.
Breakfast and lunch were included in the price but not dinner in our rate. This was actually a a positive for us, as we find a multi-course meal every night is overwhelming. Over three nights we enjoyed one dinner with the full menu, one night in our suite eating lightly (mainly leftovers from the very generous backpack hamper we'd been given for our day's walk) while watching a DVD from the hotel collection and a glorious sunset, and the third night back in the dining room with just two courses from the menu. Both ingredients and wine have a strong local slant, which we always like to see as that's part of the experience of travelling. It certainly helped raise our appreciation of Tasmanian wines, including those of the Freycinet area.
Breakfast varied each day and was delightful each time with interesting interpretations of cereals and fruit salad. Excellent bread. Lunch in the lounge could be as light or as solid as one wanted, as it was a buffet arrangement, including a barbecue one day (perfectly cooked prawns and swordfish).
Saffire has a daily program of activities, most of which are complimentary. We'd been told in advance not to miss the visit to the local oyster farm, and rightly so because it was an interesting experience with an extra fun surprise that made us realise why we'd been told this was a 'must do'. We also took the canoeing activity, which was a very relaxing way to see the gorgeous local scenery from another angle. We couldn't fit in the tour to a local winery but called in at that winery on our way back to Hobart after we'd enjoyed the wine with a meal.
A $100 voucher for spa treatments was included, and there were various ways to use it without spending anything more (which isn't always the case with such vouchers!). I used mine on a relaxing massage.
We had previously generally found that Australian hospitality staff don't compare well with our cousins across the Tasman in NZ, with Asian staff or European. But Saffire gets the service quality and style right (a special mention of Chris in the dining room).
We're big fans of the wonderful lodges that one finds in NZ, and Saffire is the first time in Australia we've experienced the standards that is offered by places like Blanket Bay or Whare Kea. It goes across all aspects and comes through in the extra touches time and time again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MymAustralia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I've travelled all over the world for many years, and, on the speaking circuit, I've been lucky enough to stay at some of the best hotels on the planet. My recent trip to Tasmania introduced me to a place which really is special, located in a beautiful spot in the Freycinet National Park on the coast of this lovely island off the south east tip of Australia.

My base at Freycinet was Saffire – and, though I’d heard of its world class reputation, nothing prepared me the sheer excellence I experienced.

My suite (the word “room” doesn’t do justice) had every conceivable luxury and then some.

One morning, with odd sleep patterns after my flight from the UK, I woke very early and pressed the switch to silently roll up the window blinds – to be met by the gaze of a kangaroo who was investigating my garden.

The restaurant is amazing, especially with views across the sea as the sun sets, and the tasting menu features the very best of local produce.

The wines, too, were a revelation. Australians (and especially Tassies) are rightly surprised that many Brits think that there are only one or two wines from Oz.

The experts at Saffire reminded me that Tasmania’s latitude south is very similar to the northern lie of the best French wine country, and how it showed.

Saffire has a top class spa too, and some gorgeous country surrounding its peaceful location.

I drove up around Wineglass Bay and wandered along a vast pristine beach with not another soul in sight – what a hidden treasure of a place.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in the place; they are all individual suites - very private...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ALANSPEAKER
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We have just spent the most relaxing 3 days at Saffire, I think I have ever spent any where in the world!
It was expensive and I didnt think anything it could be that good that I would be happy to shell out $1995 per room per night, all inclusive with a Christmas loading ( Merry Christmas to us, NOT) But as pissed off as I was with the price, I was bowled over by the place.
From the moment we arrived, the service we received was above reproach. Everything we wanted was there for us, we arrivedtoo late for lunch so they had food arranged for us, as we ate, the staff arranged to have our luggage bought from our car and taken to our rooms.
After lunch we were shown to our rooms via the main lounge area and had all the facilities explained to us.
Once in the room, our guide explained all the rooms features, what events were available to do in the after noon and asked if there was anything we wanted to book in for.
We had beautiful meals and wine, looked after by knowledgable and friendly staff.
we had action packed adventure boat tours, again guided by knowledgable and friendly staff and we went for relaxing spa treatments and walks along the quite and beautiful beach.
I can not compliment ths place enough.
The property was imaculately maintained, our room were luxuriously appointed and nothing was a problem for the staff.
We did not want to leave, we loved it!
I never thought about the cost for a moment when I was there.

Room Tip: they were all perfect. We had 12 & 6
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5.6 km away
Freycinet Retreat
Freycinet Retreat
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay

Been to Saffire Freycinet? Share your experiences!