Pelican Sands Scamander(Scamander)(Great Value!)
US$79
Carmen's Inn(Scamander)
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe east coastbottle shophot breakfastbreakfast includedvery nice placesliding door to the balconydining areacomfortable bedstayed one nightmakeoverpityrestarauntproprietorinletbridge
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We purchased a Living Social voucher for 1 night at $99 and used it as a stopover on our to Freycinet from Launceston.

The location is good, well positioned with sweeping views of the ocean. The hotel building itself could do with a makeover. We were warmly welcomed and allocated a refurbished room in the 2 nd floor. Tastefully decorated in muted neutral tones with all the necessary mod cons typical of a city hotel, including a flat screen TV we were very comfortable. The only downside was the size bathroom which was also nicely refurbished. It was very tight and only 1 person could fit in the space at a time.

The best part of the hotel is the restaurant. A mix of Aussie and Asian foods, we decided to try a seafood pasta and prawns with chilli and Thai spices. Both were delicious and was informed that there was a Malysian chef in the kitchen. He did a great job with our meal.

Breakfast was disappointing - instant coffee, canned fruit and toast. When it came to check out - we were charged an additional $70 for accommodation. On querying this charge, we were told that our voucher was made up of 2 parts: to the voucher people and the portion to the hotel so we needed to pay the hotel portion directly to the hotel. However, as I was sure my voucher covered the full payment, I insisted she call the voucher company (living social) to confirm. The receptionist decided to then take my word for it and reissued me with a new billing for only my incidental charges. She explained that they received several different types of vouchers and each one was different so she assumed mine was the partial payment type. I decided to give her the benefit of doubt and accepted her explanation happily. However, I do wonder how long it would take to get a refund had I not checked the bill carefully upon my checkout.

I would recommend this hotel only if you need place to stop overnight. There really isn't much else to do or see in Scamander.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank scorpioshanghai
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Scamander beach ,is a sleepy little jewel of the east in Tasmania.Its glissening water ways,and fresh air ,are a must to take in and rest for a while.
The Beach Resort is situated on the prize point of the town ,with sweeping views of the water.
On arrival we were greeted by very happy and helpful staff,and directed to our room .The newly refurbished room was on the top floor of the northern end of the building .The room was well appointed , very clean and comfortable .
For dinner we went to the Resort's restaurant ,who's menu was based on European to Chinese and Indian cuisine .We ordered Massaman Curries and rice ,wine from their selection and dessert .
We ordered coffee and retired to there cosy lounge area with fire place ,in the middle of the
restaurant ,we almost thought we were in France at Hotel du Lac.
In the light of morning ,the dining room had a different feel ,and it certainly was not Hotel Du Lac ,it had powdered coffee and cling peaches ,reality had arrived .
All in all the hotel is well worth the stay ,you wont be dissappointed ,but an add on with filtered coffee for breakfast and no cling peaches ,would make it Hotel Du Lac by day

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor on the north side,quieter and refurbishment is spot on
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Happytrails255100
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great value for money. We had refurbished room on 2nd floor, new everything. Tasteful decor. Utterly fantastic views and wandered over to river mouth to join local families fishing and playing. Quiet and wonderful sleep. Well kept grounds where we cooked our own barbecue. Children playing tennis on tennis court. Didn't go to restaurant as locals gave us a fish straight our of the water! Could do with digital tv. Host gracious and keen to please. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished rooms and you won't go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have stayed here several times and the location and views are fantastic. The Hotel building has seen better days and the outside is in need of a complete makeover. Our refurbished room was clean but small and in need of a new TV set. Breakfast was adequate but basic and one can't help to think that if some TLC was put into the establishment that it could be a great stay.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and ask for a refurbished room up high to get a great ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We booked into a family room for a weekend stay, on arrival I went to check us in and was suprised to find no body at the reception, ok waited 10 minitues and finally met the manager, he seemed like he would rather be somewhere else, anyway got the keys and headed to the bottom level rooms, and I meam bottom level, down steep stairs below the car park. The room was dark, smelly, and dirty, we looked out over the lawn and had no view at all. I immediatly went back to the front reception and suprise, suprise, no one there again, rang the bell, finally asked if we could have a better room, no problem as the place was almost empty anyway, same story but with a better view. I went back and cancelled our stay, a hassle as I had already paid, we ended up staying at St Helens for the weekend and that was fantastic. If your thinking of staying here don't, its really rubbish.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family