“Great Beer and an Interesting Menu”

Rivertown Brewery and Barrel House
Ranked #8 of 33 Restaurants in Monroe
Reviewed 5 February 2017

Rivertown is a Cincinnati Brewery which has expanded to Monroe. At the time of our visit, they had only been open for 2 weeks. Saturday night the place was packed. According to our server, they were completely surprised by the size of the crowd and somewhat unprepared. With their own beers and other select Ohio beers, they have 30 taps.
Beers were slow coming from the short staffed bar. Our food was also slow to come out from the overworked kitchen and much of it was no longer warm. Our very nice server was very apolgetic about the timeliness of it all.
Amongst the 3 of us we had the black bean burger with fries ( no substitutions), the Porkopolis bowl with an extra side of broccoli with cheese sauce and the Yaca tacos.
The Yaca tacos are one reason I want to come here. Barbecued jackfruit was the main ingredient. For those not in the know, jackfruit is reported to be the "new meat."
Vegetarians dont get too many chances for barbecue. It was interesting, mostly the barbecue flavor came thru. Dont know what jackfuit tastes like on its own.
Before the main meal, they brought us hunks of cornbread with sweet pickles and jalpenos. That was unexpected and quite tasty. The batter fried green beans with dip that we ordered was good as well.
All of the beers we had were tasty. They seem to have a lot of sours. One of us ordered a flight of beers - 6 four oz. pours of her choice. All the shades of beer from pale to reds to darks - it was a very pretty presentation. I enjoyed a Fox IPA and sample 4oz blueberry ale.
The Brewery is on Rt 63 and sits back a bit from the road. Coming from I 75 it is about 2 1/2 miles down the road on the right. It is a large building. There are lots of high top tables and boothes and other tables. They have about 8 old style video games you can play for free, Pac Man, Mortal Combat are ones I noticed. There is also a retail nook where you can buy the barbecue sauce and various clothing and glasses,etc.
I am sure we will be back here sometime. Their beers are very good and I saw other things on the menu that I would like to try. I am sure they the imperfections in service will improve with time.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

Just opened a few weeks ago and we had to check it out. The dining room is very large but not noisy. You can see some of the brewing process. There was a huge beer selection. Free classic arcade games to play while you wait or for the kids to play while you sit and talk. There is a kids menu and people did bring their children. However, we went with friends and had a nice time. We loved the brisket and the wontons. The deviled eggs are a house specialty but not that exciting for me personally.

The wait time was much shorter than we were told and they were out of a few items but 2nd weekend with a packed house, some of that is expected. We had a great night.