“The St. Lucie Sound!”

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Peninsula
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad offers excursions year round. The train offers an excellent view of the natural scenery and wildlife of the national park and an opportunity to learn about the history of the railroad in valley. The train runs through Cuyahoga Valley National Park with stations from Independence to Akron.
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Booked a Sunday morning Continental Breakfast on the St. Lucie Sound. The St. Lucie Sound car is a restored 1946 lounge car built by the Budd Company for the Florida East Coast Railroad. Our "car lady" (I think her name was Carol.) gave us lots of history about the the car. It was a beautiful ride through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. A continental breakfast was served. The scones were really good.

Will definitely take another trip with CVSR soon! We love the train rides!

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"hale farm"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 20 February 2018

I had high hopes for this train ride, but I ended up being disappointed. We boarded at the northernmost station, rode all the way down and back. We paid extra for the dome car so we would have the best view, but honestly, there wasn't a lot to see. I think that for someone using the train to access the bike paths in Cuyahoga Valley NP, it is a great option. I also saw that they offer special themed rides at different times, and those might be good options to try. You also could get on at the northern station, get off at a little town along the way (I can't remember the name of it), have dinner, and then get back on the train to go back north -- I think we would have enjoyed that more. Doing the whole route up and back is just too long! I am glad we did the trip since it is a historic thing and goes through Cuyahoga Valley NP, but once is probably enough for me!

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

I am a huge fan of the bike and ride train ride. It’s an excellent chance to enjoy nature, exercise by biking and spend time with friends. On the weekends, Szalay’s is a great place for a break with a salmon burger, roasted corn, live music; as the season permits.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

My three year old loved riding this train! We took a family trip and rode in the dome seats. We saw everything! The conductor made frequent visits to our train car and he was really patient with the kids. We liked being able to walk through the car and see the different areas of the train. The train gift shop I think was my son’s favorite. We will be back again next year.

1  Thank Madmaggie42
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 December 2017

We took the 3pm Polar Express from the North Akron station. We lucked out in that it was a beautiful day with a fresh snow. I know the Polar Express is supposed to be at night, but in the daytime we were able to see the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in its glory. On the train ride the elves were enthusiastic and tried to engage all of the children, even my shy grandson. The story was read and we were served hot chocolate (yes, ours was hot!) and the best chocolate chip cookie I ever ate. We made it to the North Pole, where there were lots of elves to wave and dance, and lots of Christmas decorations to see. And best of all, Santa rode with us back to Akron! He sat with each child and spoke to them so kindly, and gave each a silver bell. My grandson has always been too shy to sit on Santa's lap, so he was enthralled. Later he said, "I got to see Santa so close!" with his eyes as wide as saucers. We all had a great time and I am so glad we had the opportunity to ride the Polar Express so close to home!

1  Thank ohiovisitor55