“Terrific food. Electric atmosphere. Unique; one of a kind in OKC. Must try.”
Review of Tamashii Ramen

Tamashii Ramen
Ranked #135 of 1,733 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Reviewed 11 December 2017

I love great Asian and reviews were intriguing as is story on Web site. It is a stand alone at 8th & Harvey. Parking is an issue and location is not handicapped friendly (I use a cane).

There is a simple, open air patio out front that doubles as a waiting/over flow dining area. If you desire calm, zen or a sense of calm...eats there.

If you want to be personally infused and immersed into the restaurant...eats indoors. Do not be in a rush, ain't happening.

Inside is dark, colorful and adorned with zJapanese symbols, banners etc. It is configured like a neighborhood bar/restaurant. At noon on beautiful December Sunday it was packed. Check-in with Brandon was efficient. There was a wait so phone numbers are taken to text notices.

Inside is a 40-50 top including 12 or so bar seats. Bar runs length of restaurant and open, working kitchen is backdrop. There really is no front or back of the house...it is a one cell organism. 2 tvs are over the bar playing anime/Japanese cartoons. Tables are stool seating.

Server was Eric. He introduced himself, asked if I was new and walked me threw the menu. The menu is a single page, both sides. He was excellent. I defaulted to gyoza as a benchmark to compare with other restaurants. They were served hot off the grill and nicely stir-fried. I saw a garlic fried rice go pass and it looked and smelled amazing. It is served in a cast iron skillet and I am told it is a favorite.

There are 5 or 6 ramen dishes with Ala carte...design your own an option. I chose the Tonka tsunami (pork belly, eggs, etc) and added spicy pork, black mushrooms and green onions. The portions are very large. The broth was rich with a nice color. Food was piping hot and ingredients fresh. Noodles plentiful and perfectly cooked. Presentation of all dishes was beautiful.

For you Pho lovers, this is a place you will like. Like Pho, the broth is pork based, not chicken as with another Okc ramen shop, and is much richer. The pork belly enhances the effect and meat literally melted.

A desert, Fuji Toast, passed by and I asked about it. It is visually stunning. It is apparently a speciality bread made by nearby Browns Bakery. It was a large block and it appeared to be topped with green tea ice cream but I am not sure.

My criticism, food service was slow. They were slammed and needed another line cook. Other criticism, please dedicate 2 handicap spots to the west. For a solo diner it is pricey. However, the dishes could easily be shared with another.

Props. Brandon and "Q",,,he said his Vietnamese name is a challenge, worked the house flawlessly otherwise. Friendly, helpful and when a dish went by that they noticed I noticed they would tell me about.

All servers looked great but Eric impressive. Last prop to busboy. Within 2-3 minutes of a seating opening he had it ready for wipe down and plating.

Other than the time issue, a new favorite in Okc.

MSA

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I can only compare this to one other Ramen joint, so I can't speak on authenticity. I can say it's the best ramen place in OKC in my opinion, the flavor is amazing, and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Excellent food and atmosphere! Love the authentic Japanese street signs in the restaurant. I stop here every time I'm in or near Oklahoma City.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We all had the Spicy Ramen. It was excellent! We have craved it often since we had it and can't wait to go back. Love this place! We had the Mochi Ice Cream. We weren't as impressed with it. We like Trader Joe's better. This seemed like it had melted a little and been refrozen. But I will say it again...the Spicy Ramen is SOOOOO good!

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I returned to Tamahii with friends tonight and was delighted to find that it was consistently as good as my first visit. The garlic fried rice is mouthwatering. It is a delightful distraction from the typical OKC fare. I look forward to many happy return visits.