“what a great find”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2013

What a great find! Exciting architecture and very cool environment in which to dine. We were three couples, warmly welcomed, and expertly served the entire evening. The waiter, who was from LA originally, explained everything perfectly and had a wonderful sense of humor and professionalism. What a joy to be in a place like this. Not stuffy or pretentious.....simply they welcomed us and exceeded our expectations. More restaurants need to follow their lead.

The food was extraordinary. I told the waiter that if a place like this existed in LA that people would be standing outside the door waiting to get in. There was an extraordinary plate that the entire table enjoyed and it was a combo meat and fish board which contained prosciutto, capicola salumi, house smoked salmon and trout....it was simply fantastic!

Some entrees we had....I had the evening special which was a 28 day dry aged filet which could be cut with a fork it was so tender, and prepared exactly to my liking. I had also started with some of the freshest tasting Washington oysters...only wished there were more than 6....they came with three different toppings, of which the granita was the best and gave the oysters some zing.

Someone else had the king salmon. Now this takes some explaining: the waiter cautioned us that the salmon is slow cooked at low temperature (140 degrees for 12 minutes) and as a result does not arrive at the table piping hot. It also does not looked fully cooked which did bother one member of our group. Despite the appearance, however, the taste was wonderful. Salmon tartare appetizer was also another home run score. The lamb dish was a bit different.....lamb belly wrapped around lamb sausage. It arrived quite pink - definitely too rare which did not appeal to the person who had it. If you order that dish, ask for it to be medium and not medium rare. The sausage tasted full of flavors, but it looked raw so heads up on that one.

Simply put....we all had a great evening with wonderful tasting flavorful food. I am only sorry that on a Friday night that the place wasn't full of diners -- it should have been because those who were not there missed a wonderful meal!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We've eaten at all of the recommended restaurants in Newberg and Dundee on our visits to wine country. This restaurant is the most creative! We had the veal carpaccio and smoked salmon as starters and then my husband had a most creative mackeral and brussel sprout dish. My scallops were beautifully done. what I like also is that you can create a meal by selecting a few small plates instead of an entree. Wines were expensive, so we opted for wines by the glass. Again, you could order glasses by the 1/2 glass or full glass. One of our glasses of wine was oxidized, which the waiter didn't notice until we brought it to his attention. But it was happily replaced. I just hope this place makes it. There were only 5 tables of diners on a Friday night. If you want something creative and beautifully presented, go here!

1  Thank Lila O
Reviewed 3 November 2013

It was the best food, and the best service! Our server Miles knew the best wines to offer, and gave us all the information to make the best food choices. When you go there, ask for Miles. It was awesome!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

There are many interesting, innovative recipes at Paulee; it took us about 15 minutes and several questions of the server to understand what they were offering. Lobster polenta was excellent; pork dish was underdone. Wine list and cellar are impressive.

Desserts were good, especially peanut butter ice cream. Atmosphere is stated on the website -- they recognize that many people are coming after a day of winery touring, so casual is fine.

This is a good place, but not the special occasion restaurant that the Painted Lady in Newberg is.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Living in the midst of the Willamette Valley wine country, we are quite spoiled with the abundance of organic, local foods, great wines, and restaurants that cater to the traveling oenophiles and serious "foodies". Therefore, after our first lackluster experience with Pauleé well over a year ago, we did not see any reason to return . . . until one of our neighbors told us that there had been major changes within the organization. This evening, on a whim, we drove down the hill to give it another chance, and we were RICHLY rewarded! The wine list, both by the bottle and by the glass, was thorough, but not overwhelming. The service was friendly, educated, and honest . . . truly a perfect balance between warmth and professionalism. The star of this restaurant, however, was . . . as it should be . . . the food! The creativity from Chef Sean Temple was nothing short of brilliant without needing to be outlandish. We started with a Salmon tartar that was fresh and palate cleansing. (it was the first night on the new menu and we had the honor of being the first to order it!) We shared a scrumptious lamb dish served on goat cheese polenta with fresh brussel sprouts and other seasonal veggies, and we also shared the scallops on a creamy celeriac puree with a pear/corn/panchetta relish. The combinations of flavors were absolutely out of this world! The figs brulee with the homemade "fig newtons" and salted caramel ice cream for desert were gloriously flavorful and sweet without being cloying. I can't remember the exact description of my husband's desert, but it involved fresh plums, goat milk ice cream, olive oil, and the most delicious little sponge cake. The desert sounded interesting enough on the menu to give it a try, but we weren't sure if we'd like it. GREAT choice! It was DIVINE! There was nothing even remotely mediocre about this meal. If someone were to hold me hostage until I could come up with something I'd like to change about this restaurant, it would be the music. It was the same group of pop artists I would expect to hear shopping for clothing in your average shopping mall. The music was just on the verge of annoying. I would expect something more like jazz or a reel with artists like Nora Jones, Amy Winehouse, etc. Nonetheless, this ranked as one of our favorite restaurant meals ever! If you come visit our beautiful valley, you must experience the true joy of dining at Pauleé. Make sure to say "Hi!" to Miles!

1  Thank Willambette