“a very satisfying place to eat”
Review of Saigon Cafe

Saigon Cafe
Ranked #188 of 663 Restaurants in Eugene
Reviewed 28 December 2017

We have been looking for Vietnamese restaurant for days when we found this place by accident. The place was crowded with people and it gave very good vibes.

The four of us ordered 4 different kinds of food:
- Chicken lemongrass, which was good except that they put too much soy and made the rice very salty at the end.
- Grilled pork which was really good
- Saigon house special, which was okay
- vegetarian Pho which was okay

The problem was that there were many people and they apparently tried to cook the food to the best quality that it took then about 40 minutes to bring our food. Good thing that we were not in a hurry.

Still this restaurant gave us a very filling and satisfying meal

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Recently tried this and had the Saigon pho. Things I loved about it was that the broth was not too salty —I would have liked a bit more flavor to the broth but overall was really good and I will be back. The staff were so friendly and really went above and beyond to make sure all customers were happy. I really appreciated that!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Had the Pho. Chicken and Vegetarian bowls. They were not very delicious, and I expected a few more vegetables for a vegetarian dish. Although I am not familiar with Vietnamese food. The vegetable rolls were delicious however. There was a pepper on the plate that both my wife and I ate. Mine was like a green pepper no heat at all. My wife's melted her face off and then melted mine. Weird that the peppers were so different in their heat, but not the restaurants fault. I may come back to try a bit different dish. Waitress was extremely terse and unfriendly.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I can sum up Saigon Cafe with just three letters:

W O W (+!)

This place truly took me completely by surprise. I wouldn't have even known about its existence had it not been for my fellow coworkers. After hearing all of them praise the joint like it was the second coming of Christ and finally being sold by the overly smug/confident look a co-worker shot me, I decided to mosey on over and try it out.

At first not much met the eye. It's simple and clean, with wooden tables filling a medium sized dining hall. It has big front windows, allowing for plenty of natural lighting to brighten up the interior. The few big green plants blended in nicely to accentuate to overall decor.

After being politely greeted by the kid working at the counter, I sat down, browsed the menu, and quickly settled on the lemongrass chicken bánh mì (think a sub sandwich of sorts). It came highly recommended.

When the food showed up (which was fast) it caught me off guard. Not only did it look picture perfect, but it screamed fresh and flavorful. Big thin cuts of jalapeno bedded on top of vivid orange shoots of carrots and steaming glazed chicken. I had one of those strange sensations where you could literally smell how the food was going to taste. Dang, was I in for a treat.

The bread, which I'm normally super critical of, was lightly toasted and flakey. It served as the perfect delivery platform for the tangy and tasteful "meat" of the sandwich. The chicken itself was cut into small pieces and lightly glazed over with a crisp lemongrass sauce. The zest was amplified by small pinches of cliantro. The amazing part was that with all of the included vegetables, the combination of flavors just added to one another.

But here's the most mind shattering detail of my lunch at Saigon Cafe (and ultimately why it earns a fifth star). How much do think such a delightful lunch would normally cost? 10 bucks? Maybe 14?

5.99$ ... Just 5 freaking 99!!!

Mind = blown.

So yes, this place exceeded every and all expectations. Thoroughly. And yes, it's on the outlandishly far side of west Eugene. But holy moley, if you pass up at least trying this place one time, you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice.

A HUGE one.

1  Thank Kyle D
Reviewed 23 June 2017

Decided to get something different for lunch, went to Saigon wasn't sure what to order so the staff asked some questions and gave me some ideas they were very helpful. Lunch was really good, can't wait to go back and try something new.