“Great food and views! ”

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner while staying at the hotel. Every meal we had was delicious and perfectly prepared. For breakfast the biscuits and gravy were great, also the fruit bowl was outstanding. Lunch we had a salad and chicken and dumplings, both were great. We had a couple dinners, had the rib eye and New York, perfectly done! The service was great, full bar.

1  Thank Wanderer0213
eddy v, General Manager at Simon's at the Columbia Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Thank you for your positive comments and high rates.
We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I always bring my mother here when she visits - typically we're after a happy hour glass of wine on the back patio. For this visit, we started with happy hour in the lounge right by the fire place. We quickly got hungry and the staff didn't mind us bringing our drinks over to the restaurant. We weren't sure what to expect in terms of portions but were very pleasantly surprised. Along with the delicious fresh bread dinner was plentiful and a good price. Mom (who is from a seafood mecca on the central CA coast) ordered the fish and raved about it. She even microwaved the left overs the next day and mentioned how well they held up. I ordered a half salad and soup and wound up taking half of it to go as well. The soup was definitely heavy on the cream and/or starch for my taste, but I was thrilled to know that they had two vegetarian options.

1  Thank JessinFlag
Reviewed 15 February 2018

We've been to Simon's before, it's a little over priced, but the ambiance is very nice, the food is just above average, but its a nice place to go for a special occasion, like, Valentine's Day.

Beautiful setting, cellist and violinist playing. We even rented a room for the night despite living only a few miles away. We had a fun time at the bar waiting for our table. The menu was prix fixe. The appetizer came and was lovely. Midway through the appetizer came the salads. Um, ok, maybe they wanted to rush us out. The salads were fine as well. Mid way through the salads came the raspberry gelato. Um, no, we're not ready, please take those back for now. The harried waiter stopped by once or twice (but never to bring us our food, or pour our wine). Ok, now we're ready for the gelato.

As we finish here come our meals -- lobster tails and filet mignon. My wife got her's rare, looks good, I got mine medium rare, well, the chef perhaps misunderstood and made mine shoe leather. I mean, I never knew filet could be so tough, I could not even chew it. After trying to get the waiter's attention for 5 minutes, I asked that it be sent back. I sat there for 20 minutes while my wife finished her meal (at my urging), sipping champagne and eating the rest of the bread plate while watching maybe 8 versions of the same meal walk by me. Despite repeated attempts to flag down the waiter to find out where my meal was, it finally arrived. At that point, with my wife finished with her meal, I returned it.

It's ok to not get a meal right, even on a special occasion, it's NOT ok to then make the diner wait 20 minutes to fix it. We may stay at the hotel again, but that's it for Simon's. Hood River has so many better restaurants (Celilo, Stonehenge, Sushi Okalani, Romuls) at better prices with better service.

1  Thank Jeckertny
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Phenomenal view. However, food and service are mediocre at best. Waitress had an air of indifference. Walk the grounds for the view...skip the meal.

1  Thank Theresa C
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We had reservations Christmas eve at 730. We live in Vancouver. When we got to Troutdale at 615pm 31 degrees and freezing rain. Multiple car wrecks with the freeway being a skating rink. Cancelled via cell phone, thru it in 4wd and slowly worked our way home. Can't imagine what the return trip would have been like it we had kept going. They charged us 25 dollars for the cancelled reservation even thou the roads were treacherous. They said it was a legit charge because DOT didn't close the roads. DOT did advise everyone to stay off the freeway if possible. It was possible and prudent. Strange way to do business!!!!

3  Thank Terre H