“Anniversary dinner in wine country”

Subterra - A Wine Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 92 Restaurants in Newberg
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Affordable fine dining at it best in an amazingly ambient cellar venue in the Willamette Valley wine country. The menu reflects a patchwork of complex, bold flavors pieced together from varied cuisines, brought together with classical technique. Open daily for lunch from 11:30 am. to 5:00 pm, and dinner daily from 5:00 pm. To 9:00 pm. Extensive local and global wine and beer list, classic cocktails, small plates, happy hour weekdays from 3 to 6 with food and drink specials.
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We spent our anniversary weekend in Oregon wine country and wanted to try a local restaurant away from the resort where we were staying ( the Allison Inn), and one of the hosts at a local winery we visited recommended Subterra. Located right in downtown Newberg it was convenient. We were greeted and shown to our table immediately and our wine selection was served right away ( great wine list). Our server did a good job of explaining the features to us and the food was delightful. Both soup and salad come with entrees. The mushroom vegetable soup was delicious and the house dressing on the salad was tart and flavorful. Our “potato wrapped halibut” was moist and yummy and our beef was cooked perfectly. They featured a seasonal “chanterelle mushroom over cheddar cheese polenta” that was amazing as a small plate appetizer. Unfortunately, we were to stuffed to indulge in dessert. Reasonable prices, good food and good service. Thumbs up for Subterra!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Based on good reviews we tried this place out since we are in wine country. But based on our experience they should change the name to subpar.

Made reservations a week ago online Pretty easy. Used Lyft to get to the restaurant and walk in. Greeted and ask if we have reservations and state that we do. Funny to ask if we have a reservation, since the place never even got close to being full .

Our server was awful She finally came to the table and brought water. It was around 5 minutes. Not long, but when there are 5 tables seated and 4 wait staff.... hmmm . She lazily filled our water and then removed the bootle since it was empty. When I asked for more water, she said she thought it was odd that there wasn't a water bootle on our table. SHE TOOK IT AWAY!

Even know this is wine country, its my birthday weekend so we order martinis. Gray Goose dirty and a Sapphire up with olives. On the first try we get a Goose that is not dirty and a martini with a twist??? When did we say twist. Send it back. Girlfriend says she will drink her drink, and on the stick instead of olives, there is an olive, an onion, a grape and a mystery item that she quickly spit out. Round 2 for me and its a dirty martini with olives, again not what I wanted. Explained to the waitress: sapphire, ice, shake, add olives. I think the bartender shook the juniper berries right out of the gin, it was so watery

Entrees are ordered: Short ribs and a seafood stew. Did I tell you the meal comes with soup and salad too? Tonights choice was black-bean or butternut squash soup. Black-bean was good and heard the butternut was very good from my girlfriend. Ok we are getting better. Then the mystery salad arrives. We have no idea what it is. Find out irs mixed greens, raspberry vinaigrette, feta, and I think hazelnuts. What if I have a nut allergy? What is If dont like raspberry? Is that a beet too?

Entrees arrive. Short ribs had the taste of pot roast. Don't get me wrong, I love pot roast, but the flavor was a not what Im used to with short ribs. Seafood stew was decent. Lots of clams, fish, a few shrimp. Either mussels or squid would have rounded out the meal. Nice little heat!

Since its my birthday they gave me an option for desert. Creme bruelle please! Nice sugar crust, but the custard was loose and runny and was room temp.

Based on the restaurant never filling up, and the exceptionally poor service, I dont see this being around long and not sure how it gets 4 stars

Reviewed 21 November 2017

Very comfortable place, despite the lack of a view. Excellent service. Very decent wine list. The food was great as well. A superb value. All dishes were tasty and unique.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

We had dinner here while staying in Willamette Valley and I would say that this restaurant was just ok. The service was great but the ambiance was pretty stuffy and the food sort of old world. I was really looking forward to some yummy innovative cuisine but this just did not have it.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

We usually get several small plates and share with a great bottle of wine. Early dining at the bar offers great savings, but a more limited menu. The dining room can be dim and a bit noisy. WE have probably been there about 5 times now, and it is one of our top 4 places in Newberg.