“Disappointed ”
Review of Ruddick/Wood

Ruddick/Wood
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruddick/Wood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 92 Restaurants in Newberg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

While this restaurant was able to accommodate a party of 10 without a reservation, that is were the good experience ended. It took us more than 2 hours to eat here. The steak was just acceptable but the roasted vegetable were inedible. They were so over cooked they were hard and we were unable to tell what they were. Maybe the cook had a bad night but not sure I would want to chance a trip back for fairly expensive poorly cooked food.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

This restaurant came highly recommended. It has an interesting menu that apparently changes daily. My husband had their special burger, which he said was lackluster. I had a salad that was hardly special. We sat in a very uncomfortable booth in the back. And the female server was less than friendly. Won't return.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Wife and I had lunch here based on recommendation fro Bergstrom winery. Shared excellent tri tip steak sandwich, along with excellent skillet cornbread. Would definitely try more here if visiting again.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Had to make a trip after work to Newberg and decided to make it a dinner trip as-well. Newberg has not been famous for very many places to eat that are unique but, it seems that the food scene is desperately trying to keep up with the wine industry. I did a simple Google search, followed by TA search for dinner spot. Top of both lists was Ruddick / Wood. Knowing that I put more than my fair share of reviews up - always honest and leaning heavily toward the customer, we (my wife and I) decided to give this place a run. At first, we walked in at 6pm, not a single person in the front restaurant dining area. We were greeted by a young male server who explained the restaurant is divided front and rear with a bar type eating area in the back. The menu is also divided the same way - some dinner selections are only served in the dining room. We decided to take menus for both areas and walk the vacant venue. We stopped briefly at the open kitchen to see the cooking staff and chef going over specials and instruction for the evening (looked like they were expecting a crowd). The bar area had plenty of booth and bar seating, a full, expansive bar stock and couple of servers bustling out food to the outside seating area. Checking out the outside seating was a platform deck built into the street taking the planter strip and the parking of 4 spaces - unique to say the least, with seating for 6-8 tables. We chose the bar area to dine in and the server was very helpful in explaining the appetizer menu and the evening specials offered from that menu. Truly a farm to table approach, fresh offerings, some varied proteins, gluten free offering, and vegetarian as-well. I decided to go with the shrimp and grits special. This was not your NOLA version - baby bay shrimp in a spicy pepper oil ladled over corn grits mixed with cream corn. I was a little disappointed having set myself up for more of a traditional version - the flavors were excellent and the spice level was tolerable for those who can handle a bit of heat. My wife went with a pork tenderloin over roasted new potatoes and berry coulee. Although both portions were a bit small, the food was otherwise very good.
The best part - hand crafted drinks! Bartenders special - fruity sweet or boozy?
Boozy, of course and we had a couple of the best concoctions I have been served in a very long time.
The worst part - By 7pm this place was packed and it appeared that they did not have near enough staff. Our server, however sweet and attractive, was too busy to return to our table more than twice in an hour, had to grab a passing staff member for another round of drinks.
We will definitely return, there is too many great sounding items on the menu and pretty decent happy hour offerings not to give them another shot.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Our group of 3 were seated on the outside deck. We asked our server to describe the dinner for 2 special. She said it was trout with "some kind of rice." After several questions, we were still unable to receive any meaningful description of the special. She delivered one of our dinners about 10 minutes before the remaining 2, and we had to go to the bar inside to get our own set ups after a long wait for them. When we asked why the first dinner was delivered so far ahead of the others, she replied that food is delivered when it comes out of the kitchen. Our water glasses sat empty for a long time before she delivered another pitcher (bottle) to us. The food was good but ruined by the bad service.

Been to Ruddick/Wood? Share your experiences!