“Good Lunch Spot for Views & Chowder”
Review of Saffron Salmon

Saffron Salmon
Ranked #5 of 113 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Saffron Salmon is perched on the end of a public pier with a panoramic bay view on Newport's Historic Bayfront. We showcase Northwest cuisine utilizing local and fresh ingredients. As sea life frolic outside the window, you will dine amidst contemporary art in this visually stunning eatery. A local's favorite, Saffron Salmon is a magical dining experience with its stunning view, great food, superb service and unique Northwest wine and beer selection.
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We found this a little pricey ($8 was the cheapest glass of wine) but there were not many choices that looked promising in the area, (the old historic bayfront area) and we were glad we chose it as the chowder was excellent, the fish and chips pretty good, too. You overlook the Newport bridge. Bring binoculars if you want to watch the seabirds and seals in the bay. The restaurant provides picture ID charts along the windows to help you figure out what's what in the fish and fowl on the waterfront. There are several little art galleries nearby that are also worth checking out. I gave the cost per person rating a $$$ based on cost, not the "more formal dining" description - (What does that have to do with the cost per person?

There are newer reviews for Saffron Salmon

Reviewed 5 March 2012

this is where my husband and I go for our anniversary every year. The setting on the bay front in Newport is stunning at sunset, and the food is just as beautiful! Everything we have had there has been delectable! I have taken other couples there and they agree with us that it lives up to their reputation of being a premier restaurant.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

The menu, the ambience, the food and the service were awesome! If you want something more upscale than pizza and fried seafood the Saffron Salmon is your place.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just had lunch at the Saffron Salmon and couldn't have been more pleased. We started with the twice fried potatoes which were delicious and very unique. The calamari was lightly breaded and sauteed in olive oil and just the right amount of spicy heat and flavor. Definitely a different twist than what you would typically get in other restaurants. We loved it. We also ordered the sauteed garlic shrimp with linguini. The large shrimps were very plentiful and perfectly cooked.

They have a stunning view of the bay, relaxed atmosphere and our service was spot on. I really liked the menu for both lunch and dinner and its uniqueness. This is one of the best places I've eat at in Newport. I'm looking forward to returning!

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The food was wonderful! It's a great small restaurant right on the water in the Bay Front district. The prices range from $12 (burger) to $32 (rack of lamb). A note: DO get a reservation. It's possible that we were there during a popular festival, but the quality of food suggests to me that reservations are a good idea any time of the year.

My boyfriend got their burger and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had their grilled Escolar which was absolutely delicious and very well seasoned. The service was friendly and attentive. It was a great romantic evening.

As a note though, my creme brulee was not very smooth. When it came to the table it was still very warm and the sugar on top had not set so it was a gooey mess. Tasty, but not done properly. The custard could also have used from a bit longer setting time.