“Bland food, erratic but friendly service”

Starfish Grill & Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 116 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 November 2017

I've eaten there with business groups and with friends. The business buffets are okay though nothing would stand out as particularly poor or particularly outstanding.

Eating from the menu: hard to find anything interesting. The "Asian" salad had nothing identifiably Asian. Some items like fried calimari seemed to take a long time to appear and dishes appeared some times 15 minutes apart for the same group.

The wait staff is generally older and very friendly.

Pricing is a bit high for quality and portions.

The newly added half grilled chicken is good. They would enhance the menu with some vegetable offerings besides potatoes or salad.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Staying at the hotel, we decided to have a beer/chowder lunch the day we checked out. Great chowder as well as a view of the ocean from a distance.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

I had a bowl of clam chowder. It was good. Our waiter was very friendly. There did not seem to be anyone else in the restaurant at 6pm, but there was a private banquet going on in the basement (Oops, lower level. I don't want to sound like a hick).

Reviewed 6 August 2017

We ate here the first night we were in Newport. The food was absolutely wonderful. The waitress was very nice and the atmosphere was great. They also a patio that you can eat on and it is just great. Will eat their again when I return.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

A year ago my family and I stayed at the Best Western and visited this on-site restaurant. The food was fairly good and the wait service was excellent. Eating in a true restaurant or, up from that, in a fine dining restaurant is a luxury for our family.

Well, we went back this year and we were fairly disappointed. The Hostess was perfectly pleasant and prompt. The gentleman who refilled our water glasses and retrieved items missing from our table offered excellent service. Our waitress, I am hoping that she was just tired as we did come in for a later dinner. She wasn't rude. She brought our food and drinks as quickly as she could but she wasn't entirely friendly nor helpful through most of our time in the restaurant.
The menus. They once had real menus but we received paper that was front and back printed.
The food. The only bright spot in the food were the sides. They were well prepared. The salads were meh. There were were four of us and each ordered a different entree. Each entree took awhile and three of the four ranged from over cooked to just burned. My younger son ordered a burger. It was a frozen patty with cheese and a bun, and it was burned. My daughter ordered chicken cordon bleu. It was not burned but the only flavor was the ham. I ordered the parmesan halibut. The whole thing was over cooked. The worst was my husband's dinner. He ordered the filet mignon. He asked for medium rare. He received a nearly well done steak drowned in some thick gravy. And it was heavily over salted. He compared it to a TV dinner.