“Don't be fooled by the exterior, inside you will find good food and GREAT Pie”

Chalet Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #2 of 5 Dessert in Newport
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Like another reviewer we wanted something other than fish, and based on the tripadvisor reviews we decided to try Chalet Restaurant. We were somewhat put off by the exterior of the building as except for the color it could be a building material supply store. But don't be fooled, inside it is very homey. The ceiling is vaulted and their are pretty pictures on the walls. If one sits at the back of the restaurant they have a few of a pond with a waterfall. The air conditioning was blasting, as apparently it was broken, so make sure to take a jacket inside.

My husband ordered a burger with a side of soup. My daughter and I split a patty melt with a side of soup. The soup was very good, and not too salty. Our patty melt wasn't bad, but it could have been prepared better. The texture of the bread was almost as though it was toasted. I think the bread needed more butter when it was grilled, and maybe a slice of a different type of cheese. It just wasn't as moist and juicy as I like. My husband's burger was delicious.

The pie was incredible. I make homemade pie crust and as such I am very picky. The crust was flaky and tender. The marionberry pie was mouthwatering. The peach pie was equally delicious. We were given a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. I only wish we weren't in another state as I'd go here just for dessert!

The service was good. The on duty manager was very friendly. Hopefully we will be back.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

My wife and I stopped to buy 2 Marion berry pies based upon a local resident recommendation. In addition to the 2 marionberry pies I also bought a lemon cream pie. I was the best I have ever had. I wish they were located where I live because I would buy their pies on a regular basis. I did not try any food from their menu so I cant say much about that, but if it is as good as the pies then it probably is pretty good.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

After a few days of eating fried fish and chowders, we were ready for a hearty healthier dinner. The Chalet met our needs. The service and food was very good. I had the pot roast, it was almost as good as mom's. The corn bread, yummy! The hubby's steak was good, cooked as requested. The portions were large. We both required a box to go. We ordered a piece of cake to go, to enjoy later in the evening. It too was very yummy!

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Honestly we went there because they have pie. We ordered a couple omelets and they brought out huge, fluffy biscuits before. The service was excellent and the food was great. Looking at the menu we initially thought the prices were a little high but, you get a LOT of good food for the price. I never got to the pie. After some of the other service in the area, The Chalet was great!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

My husband and I had breakfast at Chalet and we were delighted with both the food and the friendly service. Afterward I checked out the bakery and their selection of homemade pies was also a welcome site from the grocery store selections. I would highly recommend Chalet.