Lowest prices for your stay
Breakfast included
Official Website
Breakfast included
3,774 results
All reviews hotel monaco red star tavern king suite social hour attached restaurant love this hotel front desk staff valet parking upon check kimpton lobby downtown doorman funky wallpaper garage robes
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 November 2023

Though I live in Portland, I needed a room in Downtown for an event. I can definitely say that this hotel is so very Portland. I knew I was going to love it from the second I walked into that lobby. In terms of feel and decor, it is so lively, whimsical, colorful, artsy, and just plain beautiful. It’s the kind of hotel you might find in a Wes Anderson movie. Moreover, every member of the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Front desk, bartender, and valets were all a complete pleasure to interact with. The room itself was immaculate, beautifully decorated, and had a great view of the city. If you have a car, their parking structure has a gate and is attended to the entire time. And yes, you can go in and out as you please. I can’t recommend this place enough. I can’t wait for an excuse to need a room in downtown just so I can stay here again. Oh, and it’s within walking distance from so many great places! Love this place.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RoyalSonestaPortDTGM, General Manager at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2023

ItsReallyRen, your excitement about your stay at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown is infectious! We love that you enjoyed our vibrant ambiance and found our decor reminiscent of a Wes Anderson film. Our team members are flattered by your kind words and really strive to make every interaction a pleasure. We're thrilled the room exceeded your expectations and you found our parking convenient. Here's to many more enjoyable stays! It seems you've found a delightful excuse to enjoy our hotel, even being a local. We look forward to welcoming you back for more unique experiences.

Reviewed 7 November 2023 via mobile

We enjoyed our three night stay at this lovely hotel. The area felt with several nearby restaurants, including the hotel restaurant Finch on Fifth. Valet parking was extremely safe and secure with genuinely friendly valet staff. Shout out to Kathryn who greeted us warmly each time we saw her. Housekeeping was somewhat unpredictable as is often the case these days, but a phone call took care of anything we needed quickly and pleasantly. We enjoyed the Saturday wine hour and the coffee and pastries on the other mornings

Trip type: Travelled with family
RoyalSonestaPortDTGM, General Manager at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2023

374sherryh, it's delightful to know you thoroughly enjoyed your three nights with us at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown. We're glad that our location enhanced your stay by providing convenient dining options including our in-house restaurant, Finch on Fifth. It pleases us to know how you appreciated our valet parking and the friendliness of our colleagues, especially Kathryn who left a positive impression.

We acknowledge your feedback regarding our housekeeping, and we're glad our team was able to promptly assist with your needs. Your mention of the Saturday wine hour and morning pastries is heartening. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - your positive feedback is encouraging. We hope your future visits will be just as enjoyable.

Reviewed 6 November 2023

Have been to Royal Sonesta in Portland a few times this year for work and pleasure. The staff is always fun and friendly. It was nice to be remembered by Kathryn at the valet! She does a great job 👏🏼 Also enjoy Chris and the creativity he brings to the place.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RoyalSonestaPortDTGM, General Manager at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2023

W9226DGjoeyt, it's great to hear that your experiences at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown have been so positive. We're thrilled that our team members, like Kathryn and Chris, have contributed to making your stay both memorable and enjoyable. We highly appreciate your commendation of their efforts and can't wait to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2023

Loved the restaurant experience, I had breakfast at the finch (on the first floor of this hotel), and had a lovely waitress assist me. She was warm, bubbly and friendly. Her name is Grason. An absolute must to grab breakfast downstairs. She's awesome!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
RoyalSonestaPortDTGM, General Manager at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2023

Greetings, it's delightful to hear of your fantastic restaurant experience at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown. We're thrilled that Grason, with her vibrant personality and friendly service, went above and beyond to enrich your breakfast experience. Her effort truly embodies the extraordinary hospitality we strive to provide. Please do revisit us; your breakfast table is always ready!

Reviewed 28 October 2023

This property is not a 4-star hotel nowadays. That said, my room was spacious, comfortable, and quiet once the kids next door settled down for the evening so I'd put it 3-star. The only thing lacking in the room was aesthetics. It was exactly as well-worn and 70s ugly as pictured. To top it off my room had a painting glued to the mirror slightly crooked. I paid a bit more to stay on the the top floor, which included a view of Mt. Hood on clear days, upgraded linens, and plush bath robes. I'm accustomed to paying for a view; however, I'd expect premium linens in all rooms in a Royal Sonesta.

The staffing was what was really lacking. The only noteworthy service was the front desk, who were friendly, professional, and efficient. The restaurant and bar aren't even open Sunday and Monday evenings. If you want a drink in the evening, you have to purchase bottled beer or a glass of wine at the front desk. Monday and Tuesday breakfast and lunch on all days is only by room service with an expensive delivery fee tacked on. Like many hotels now, they don't have cleaning service outside of emptying the trash every couple of days. If you want fresh towels or even in-room coffee refreshed you have to ask at the front desk. It took me two tries to get more K-cups.

The couple times I ate at Finch & 5th the food was variable in quality. The wings were excellent, with plenty for 2-3 people to share. However, I was really taken aback by a pork chop dinner. I'm not picky about how my food looks but the pork chop was served on a sea of white grits with tan apple gravy and not a shred of vegetables or color. I've never been served a less appealing looking plate. The flavor was good, but the pork chop was very tough.

Pay attention to room rates when you reserve. The hotel advertises low rates to look good in aggregation services, but then tacks on a $25+tax "destination fee." It includes $10 breakfast and spa credits so I felt like I paid for services I didn't use. The Hilton, Marriott, and Hampton Inn nearby don't engage in this annoying and mildly deceptive practice.

The location is very convenient to mass transit and within walking distance of the Pearl District but I was uncomfortable walking at night. 4th street had a sizeable tent encampment, with armed guards posted at the businesses across the street. The local CVS had broken glass and bare shelves. One afternoon I had to ease around a spaced-out, intoxicated man standing squarely in front of the hotel entrance. The hotel itself has access control and felt safe, but depending on your plans you may want to take the area into consideration.

Room tip: Plan for nights with no bar/restaurant.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
RoyalSonestaPortDTGM, General Manager at The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2023

It's regrettable to note that your stay was not up to your expectations. We're pleased that you appreciated the spacious and quiet nature of your room and the quality service by our front desk colleagues. We do, however, acknowledge your comments about the room decor and the challenges with our restaurant's operating hours.

In regards to room preferences, we do our best to provide various amenities across different room categories. About the room service, we're continually revisiting our practices, and your feedback is invaluable in such efforts.

Concerning the restaurant, we're sorry your culinary experience was inconsistent. We aim to provide top-notch dishes and take great pride in everything prepared by our kitchen team. Your input will certainly help us improve.

Our pricing structure is aligned with industry standards. As for the location, while we have no control over the external circumstances, the safety and satisfaction of our guests within our premises are our primary concerns.

We appreciate your detailed feedback which will guide us in making improvements. We hope to get another chance to serve you better in the future.